Just do something

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just do something

I had an exhaust leak on my recently acquired 850G. It sounded like a header gasket, but I felt the escaping gases down under, so I figured it was the packing on one of the inside cylinders. Off came the pipes and CRAP, the whole damn crossover collector is a rusted POS. I can't put that back on, I need the bike in a week for a biking weekend, and I don't have the time to wait for, nor the cash to buy an aftermarket set of pipes. So I put the pieces back on the bike without the crossover, and with a couple pieces of pipe set in place. Tacked it all together, took it off and welded it all up. I now have a pair of 2 into 1 pipes instead of 4 into 2. It is super quiet, and no more popping on deceleration. I can find something better anytime, but these are fine. I did have to use a little rust converter and coated everything with black high heat paint cause there was too much surface rust underneath for me to tolerate. I have good luck with the heat paint, the 1st time I fire the bike up after painting the pipes I head straight for the highway. A good 30-40 minute ride lets the paint cure properly without getting hot enough to blister or burn off.

Congratulations on using your head to fix a problem.

Some of the older GSes originally had two into one exhausts on each side. I think they sound better like that anyway. If it's not too noticeable when looking at the bike, I'd sync the carbs and leave it as-is.
    sigpic

SUZUKI:
    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
      Congratulations on using your head to fix a problem.

Some of the older GSes originally had two into one exhausts on each side.
      Yep, I'm about 99% sure the 79 GS850 had that setup. It was changed later -- probably with the CV's in 1980. I never noticed any difference in the exhaust sound from the 79 to later bikes.
      and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
      __________________________________________________ ______________________
      2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Are there any downsides and/or benefits to having a pair of 2-1 pipes as opposed to a single 4-2?

Comment

Darned if I can tell any difference

Comment

Speaking from my experience with car exhaust which is basically the same as a bike. The crossover pipe balances the pressure between the two banks of pipes and creates a flatter more even torque curve. Some people say that the exhaust note is different whether or not a crossover tube is used but i can't tell a difference. I would doubt you would notice a difference in a stock bike anyway.

Comment

Working...
            X