new member looking for advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new member looking for advice

Well i just bought my second gs, its a 1982 gs1100g. its completely stock. i think i want to put a louder exhaust on it. I'm looking for some input on a good set to buy and I'm gonna assume that new pipes are going to mean ill need new jets too. so any advice about that would be great. Thank you in advance.

Originally posted by mullet89 View Post
    Well i just bought my second gs, its a 1982 gs1100g. its completely stock. i think i want to put a louder exhaust on it. I'm looking for some input on a good set to buy and I'm gonna assume that new pipes are going to mean ill need new jets too. so any advice about that would be great. Thank you in advance.
    You will also reduce the performance of the bike. You will have a louder bike a probably a less tractable engine. I know plenty of 1100G riders who would be happy to have the mufflers.

Sorry for the bad news. I just returned my 1000G to standard mufflers and am amazed at the improvement.
    Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
    1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
    1977 GS400
    1974 Montesa 250
    1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

Hi mullet89.

Welcome to the forum.
      Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
      1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

Let me know if you want to get rid of those stock pipes. If they're in usable shape I can give you some $$$ toward a new set.

Your options are limited on available pipes. My recommendation for a pipe that's a little louder, wont break the bank and is decent quality is the Vance and Hines 4 into 1. There are others on the market but I would stay away from anything from MAC. So far the quality report is poor and the sound is less then desirable.

Go to the link at the bottom of my signature and you're get a Mega Welcome to the site with a ton of information.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Thanks for the welcoming. I should have some pics of the bike soon its in decent shape. Johno, what exhaust did you take off the bike and was the carb tuned for that.

Comment

Thanks for the welcoming. I should have some pics of the bike soon its in decent shape. Johno, what exhaust did you take off the bike and was the carb tuned for that.
            You may be able to achieve better performance than I did. I fitted a locally manufactured O'Brien pipe. I'm sure the Vance and Hines headers are probably superior. However as you have indicated the jetting needs to be appropriately adjusted as well as the intake to gain maximum advantage.

You really need the resources of Vance & Hines, Suzuki or Yoshimura to get the best out of any set up.

that is why i went back to OEM mufflers.

Whatever way you go as long as you are happy with the result is good.

Good luck with your build.
            Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
            1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
            1977 GS400
            1974 Montesa 250
            1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

Working...
            X