GS1000G still not getting enough fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000G still not getting enough fuel

Let me start with this, I now know firsthand that shortcuts get you minimal results. SO....on my second carb cleaning attempt, I DID NOT completely disassemble the carbs, they stayed together. I DID take apart the bowl, needle, main jet, needle jet, pilot jet and pilot air jet, the top cap with slider and diaphragm and all.

The carb bodies were then put through 4 hours of an ultrasonic cleaner cycles at my dad's work. They came out looking a lot better, and I hoped it did the insides of the carbs some good too. I re-assembled everything, ZERO new o-rings were put in the carb, and I put them back on the bike.

Now, the bike will idle without a choke, and will be responsive and rev up to 2000 RPM. At that point the bike will not continue to rev any higher unless I hold the throttle there and then it spits and sputters and jumps around and bogs...basically like again, it needs more gas which it is not getting.

My thought is that the carbs are still not as clean as they need to be because I took a shortcut. And that they need to be dipped and rebuilt. I will not be doing this simply because I do not trust my mechanical abilities to do so, and unless I find someone that can for a reasonable price, the bike is just gonna have to go.

Rebuilding carbs are easy! PepBoys has Barryman's carb dip for like $25. Just take pictures as you disassemble, follow BikeCliff's guide, get new orings from cycleorings.com. Hell, all the hard work is already done :-P

Anyway, I'd check the petcock, fuel hoses, vacuum lines. Do you have an inline fuel filter? Any other filters clogged (petcock filter and the filter in the carb bowls)?

Comment

did you have the airbox on it when you were testing?
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

1000G for sale, huh? Where?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yes, air box on and everything. Would it really be running that bad just because the air box was off? Not being able to rev past 2000RPM?

Comment

does anyone else agree that from what my bike is doing now, it is still an issue with not getting enough gas? I'm probably gonna send my carbs to chef since everyone says he does awesome work and I know the job will be done right.

Comment

You have access to an ultrasonic cleaner

Why not follow the carb tutorial and do it yourself?

You'll find that doing the job correctly, instead of half assed, will yield good results

Didn't you dad teach you that? After two attempts at doing it wrong, why not actually do it right?
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by motokid837 View Post
                Yes, air box on and everything. Would it really be running that bad just because the air box was off? Not being able to rev past 2000RPM?

Yes, it could.

Comment

does anyone else agree that from what my bike is doing now, it is still an issue with not getting enough gas? I'm probably gonna send my carbs to chef since everyone says he does awesome work and I know the job will be done right.
                  It will be done right.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                    You have access to an ultrasonic cleaner

Why not follow the carb tutorial and do it yourself?

You'll find that doing the job correctly, instead of half assed, will yield good results
                    I agree- completely seperate carbs this time and experiment with stronger ultrasonic solution; the stuff needs to crawl into every crevice.
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

You state that you know that shortcuts get you nowhere.
                      I now know firsthand that shortcuts get you minimal results.
                      You admit that you took shortcuts.
                      SO....on my second carb cleaning attempt, I DID NOT completely disassemble the carbs, ...
                      I re-assembled everything, ZERO new o-rings were put in the carb, ...
                      And now you expect to be "somewhere"?

I'm sorry, but just what is it that I am missing?

My thought is that the carbs are still not as clean as they need to be because I took a shortcut.
                      You are (partially) correct, but it's not because you took a shortcut.

It's because you took SEVERAL shortcuts and you keep shortcutting all the suggestions that are offered to you.

And that they need to be dipped and rebuilt.
                      I think somebody might have mentioned that possibility (a time or three).

I will not be doing this simply because I do not trust my mechanical abilities to do so, and unless I find someone that can for a reasonable price, the bike is just gonna have to go.
                      This part just completely baffles me. You have already done all of the "hard" part with all the little pieces. Now it's just 20 more screws (4 in the "choke" mechanism, 16 holding the carbs to the rails) and they will come apart in your hands.

That will give you the perfect opportunity to dip the carbs.

That will also give you the opportunity to remove the "choke" plungers to clean them and the passages behind them.

That will also give you the opportunity to replace all the o-rings with the kit that has been suggested a time or twenty.

Best of all, it will give you the PERFECT opportunity to get your carbs running right so you can enjoy your bike.

I may stop by this thread again to see if it ever got resolved, other than that, I'm done here.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                      X