Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How important is the exhaust crossover pipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I'll just leave it alone. No rust. Why mess with it.
    Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
    Should be higher in pitch as there is less volume.

Not positive as I've left mine intact.

Comment

The reason for the crossover pipe is the inner two cylinders run hotter than the outer two. For cooling and efficiency the inner cylinders are run slightly richer and the scavenging effect from the crossover helps with the breathing required for richer fuel mixtures.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
        The reason for the crossover pipe is the inner two cylinders run hotter than the outer two. For cooling and efficiency the inner cylinders are run slightly richer and the scavenging effect from the crossover helps with the breathing required for richer fuel mixtures.
        Not true, on most GSes the jetting is the same on the inner cylinders.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Not true, on most GSes the jetting is the same on the inner cylinders.
          Yeah - never heard of the inner cylinders running richer. All jets are the same, at least on mine.

Comment

Stock jetting on the 1150 models the inner two main jets are larger. Same reason that the factory sync. is supposed to have lower vacuum on the center cylinders on all other 4-cylinder models (to run slightly richer).

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
              Stock jetting on the 1150 models the inner two main jets are larger. Same reason that the factory sync. is supposed to have lower vacuum on the center cylinders on all other 4-cylinder models (to run slightly richer).
              The 1150 has the bigger jets, the rest don't.

Only set the synch that way on the models with the crossover pipe. The ones before that should all be set the same. That's not it.

Comment

The '83 550E (the one with the 4-valve head and the siamesed carbs) also had richer jets on the inner cylinders.

What made that one interesting is that in each of the two-barrel carbs, the two main jets were different sizes.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My best guess is since exhaust restriction increases cylinder temps, the inner cylinders are allowed to breath a little easier. On the motors with mixed jetting, they probably needed a little more cooling.

Comment

Only set the synch that way on the models with the crossover pipe. The ones before that should all be set the same. That's not it.
                    Jetting isn't the only factor in fuel mixture e.g. a vacuum leak will lean out a cylinder even if the jets are all the same size. With that in mind add in that the carb sync across all four from the factory isn't equal.

Comment

Haven't ever heard of any of the eight valve engines having troubles with cylinders getting hot. They have plenty of cooling fins and airflow. You guys are on the wrong page.

Comment

I don't know or care if this is right but my understanding is as follows.

The cross-over equalises the exhaust pressure across all of the system. It doesn't matter if this is before 1&2 / 3&4 join or after.

There are two pressure states to consider. The first is the increased pressure of a slug of exhaust gas travelling down the pipe. The second is the pressure during the rest of the cycle. The cross-over equalises this. The effect is subtle.

2&3 pots do run hotter on all air-cooled inline fours. The reason is simply due to less surface contact with the cold ambient air. Balancing cooling as best you can, balancing a bank of four carbs as best you can, and balancing the exhaust system as best you can, combined, results in an engine which runs cleaner. That means lower emissions from a more efficient engine in a hp to hp comparison on engine designs.

The ideal exhaust system will have downtubes (header pipes) of equal length, arranged in such a manner that they all meet at the same point i.e. a 4 into 1 pipe. The cross-over in the later 4 into 2 attempts to create the benefits of a 4 into 1 whilst maintaining the aesthetics of the 4 into 2.
                        -----
                        Originally posted by JAG;
                        What a load of Bullsh1t
                        Thought I'd save you the trouble of replying

Comment

main jets and carb synching have no effect on each other, in any way whatsoever.
                          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by JAG View Post
                            The ideal exhaust system will have downtubes (header pipes) of equal length, arranged in such a manner that they all meet at the same point i.e. a 4 into 1 pipe. The cross-over in the later 4 into 2 attempts to create the benefits of a 4 into 1 whilst maintaining the aesthetics of the 4 into 2.
                            Applying that whole concept would mean the exhaust traveling backwards (up the pipe) and a longer distance till exit would be more efficient i.e. the path to get from the #1 cylinder to the right side outlet.

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                            main jets and carb synching have no effect on each other, in any way whatsoever.
                            Not sure if that's a reply for me; but that's true, they don't affect each other. They do however both affect the burn and power contribution of the cylinder.

I don't expect anyone here to accept or understand the explanation I was given and have thus passed on anymore than I expect the amish to accept electricity and wireless communications; but, the explanation I have given explains and ties together alot. Maybe if we ever get a fluid and thermal dynamics version of posplayr here we'll have more believers

At the end of the day, it boils down to the japs made it, it works, and that's all you need to know.
                            Last edited by Guest; 05-17-2014, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
                              At the end of the day, it boils down to the japs made it, it works, and that's all you need to know.
                              And maybe you can also accept the fact that not everything they made was perfect?

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                                And maybe you can also accept the fact that not everything they made was perfect?

Nothing made by humans is "Perfect" nor is anyones doubt. In hindsight though, I guess what they made was good enough to trust your life on, everything in your stable originates from their corner of the globe.

I am open to all logic, if anyone wants to explain a better reason for the extra steel that is the crossover pipe then by all means get down and dirty. Put it all together and lay on all the facts you have.

Comment

Working...
                                X