More petcock help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More petcock help!

Just rebuilt my carbs and I'm trying to run some gas into them off the bike to make sure my old float needles are still good to go, but no gas will come out of the petcock on prime. Just drained and cleaned the tank a week ago and filled it with new gas. Petcock did not look clogged at all. Now, no gas will come out. Ideas?

I don't know what bike you have, but my petcock needs a vacuum to start the fuel flow, even on prime. On prime, it just needs one pulse of vacuum and it flows forever (even if the vacuum is then removed).

Comment

Originally posted by gjsuzuki View Post
      Just rebuilt my carbs and I'm trying to run some gas into them off the bike to make sure my old float needles are still good to go, but no gas will come out of the petcock on prime. Just drained and cleaned the tank a week ago and filled it with new gas. Petcock did not look clogged at all. Now, no gas will come out. Ideas?
      put a hose on the vacuum of the petcock and gently suck should start the fuel flowing

Comment

If no gas comes out with petcock lever in "PR" spot, your petcock is no good - no matter how pretty it looks. Don't waste your time with a 32 yearold unit- get new one for $50.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

It's an '82 GS750T. Didn't need any vacuum pressure when I originally drained the tank to get gas out, which is why I think something is wrong. Could buy a new one....OEM petcock is about 80 bucks though, according to what I've seen. Seems like a waste though if it was just working a week ago. I find it hard to believe after 30 years it suddenly stopped working right as I was doing repairs to the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            If no gas comes out with petcock lever in "PR" spot, your petcock is no good - no matter how pretty it looks. Don't waste your time with a 32 yearold unit- get new one for $50.
            What he said...

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
            '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD
            '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by gjsuzuki View Post
              It's an '82 GS750T. Didn't need any vacuum pressure when I originally drained the tank to get gas out, which is why I think something is wrong. Could buy a new one....OEM petcock is about 80 bucks though, according to what I've seen. Seems like a waste though if it was just working a week ago. I find it hard to believe after 30 years it suddenly stopped working right as I was doing repairs to the bike.
              Old o-rings dried out from sitting empty (even for a day or two) and now doesn't work.

Buy a new replacement. Not even worth getting upset over a rebuild kit that doesn't work. Been there and done that.

Comment

Working...
              X