source for a GOOD choke cable 1980 GS650G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

source for a GOOD choke cable 1980 GS650G

It has the choke that comes up through the triple tree and pulls straight up and down - not the kind that mounts on the handlebars. Bought a new one 18 mos ago and had to modify it to get it to fit. It's now rust/frozen. Other than a couple of weekends when I had to leave it outside while I was working on my car, it spent the entire time in my garage. Any specific sites/sources welcome.

I strongly advise in favor of OEM Suzuki parts. Available at a multitude of dealership parts sources, including online.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks - I thought they were NLA.

Comment

#11 here: http://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/...da56/handlebar
        Of course it won't fit because Suzuki didn't make a 1980 650G but this '81 part should work.

Comment

Yeah, I realized that after I posted, but Nessism answered before I even had a chance to correct. It's actually an 81.

Edit: I ordered a gently used one off fleabay - located in Akron, OH, so will get it before the weekend.
          Last edited by Guest; 05-20-2014, 01:43 PM.

Comment

I got a used one for my 750L and while it does work I will be buying a NOS cable and keeping the eBay one as a spare.

Comment

Originally posted by mhobryan View Post
              Edit: I ordered a gently used one off fleabay - located in Akron, OH, so will get it before the weekend.
              Why buy used on a $12 part?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Why buy used on a $12 part?
                You're correct, I only saved $5, but that wasn't the motivating factor. It is strictly about logistics and getting it by the weekend w/o paying mucho dollars for expediting. The cable looked good in the pics...besides, what can go wrong with a cable? As long as it isn't frozen/seized, it will be fine.

Comment

...besides, what can go wrong with a cable?
                  You might soon find out.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It has the choke that comes up through the triple tree and pulls straight up and down - not the kind that mounts on the handlebars. Bought a new one 18 mos ago and had to modify it to get it to fit. It's now rust/frozen. Other than a couple of weekends when I had to leave it outside while I was working on my car, it spent the entire time in my garage. Any specific sites/sources welcome.
                    I just used to raid car breaker yards for choke cables, but now they've disappeared. Scouting ebay classic section brought me an assortment of NOS car choke cables, and I knew from previous experience what ones to look for. Now I think on it, the part-brat bike has a bonnet release cable as choke - much better T-handle on it. No reason for one to rust up, if you wipe the inner with gear oil when you fit it.
                    Last edited by Grimly; 05-22-2014, 06:43 PM.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Mine was froze up when pulling the bike apart. I used PB blaster and let it set for a while. Gave it a good yank and it broke free. Lubed it up some and works like a new one

Comment

Working...
                      X