'82 head on '79 gs850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 head on '79 gs850

the intake ports on the 82 head are larger than the '79s, can this be done using some sort of restrictor plate or any other means to make this work.

Do you want a '79 850 head?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The 79 used VM carbs, the 82 used CV carbs. Hence the difference. What is your goal, and what do you have on hand?

Comment

Why use a restrictor plate?

Get a set of VM carbs and be done.

Of course, then you would have to change the airbox and make sure you also have a valve cover that fits.

The '79 valve cover had 16 bolts.
        The early '82 covers had 16, but they changed to a 19-bolt pattern mid-year.
        The valve cover and the head need to match.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

He's putting a '82 head on a '79 motorcycle.

Meanwhile my spare '79 850 head sits idle on a shelf.

C'est la vie.

Comment

Well I purchased the 82 head firuring I could just switch it out with the old, only realized intake port difference when I went to switch boots from old to new head, so I was trying to figure out a way to do this switch by maybe putting some kind of restrictor plate to make intake port hole smaller in dimension, or maybe a boot that will fit on this head and reduce down to fit the vm carbs. !!!!!! I hope this makes a little clearer.

Comment

There is vm carbs on this bike now, it's a 79!!!!

Comment

Why would you want to put an '82 head on it?
                Does your head have a problem?
                Last edited by tkent02; 05-25-2014, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Long story, bought bike 4 yrs ago, when changing rings , left small rag in cylinder, partially melted # 1 and 2 cam journals, had guy repair and bike has been working great. Was just now changing head gasket "leak" and so thought was good time to replace head. Just spent some hours cleaning ,reseating valves and such on 82 head, is there no way to make this work if not I would concider your offer of '79 head you have.

Comment

Considering all the other parts you would have to change to make the '82 head work, getting tkent's '79 head might be quicker and easier.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Not really the answer I was looking for , but it is the reason I came on here , to have some one to confirm what I didn't want to hear. THKS

Comment

Working...
                      X