bogging badly, hardly accelerates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bogging badly, hardly accelerates

So here it is. 1981 gs750 with uni pods, stage 3 dynojet kit. Did the valves last week, replaced carb o rings last month. Last week it started having some power loss, I thought the tune was off so I tweaked that but no changes. Today it got incredibly worse and can barely accelerate from stop without dying. It feels like a major vacuum leak but I can't find a crack on the boots. I have an inline fuel filter which I put in when I did the carbs o rings. No idea what's happening since it's gotten progressively worse and not just a sudden fail.

Stock exhaust? Checked the plugs? What are the jet sizes used with stage 3?
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

If you have garbage in the tank & it has clogged the fuel filter, it would do exactly what you are describing.
      Ray.

Comment

I'll check the filter tomorrow. I took it around the block earlier and it was much better again but still bogging a little so I wouldn't doubt it. Time to clean the tank

Comment

try running it on prime , might be a failing petcock
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Check the plugs and see if any are black.

Might be a leaking petcock or a leaking float valve. My 850GL had sudden power loss and it turned out to be a bad float and bad ORIGINAL petcock. Very lean and very rich act similarly.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
              Check the plugs and see if any are black.
              What would it mean if he found one that was sooty/black (i.e.not oil covered).

Comment

Originally posted by mhobryan View Post
                What would it mean if he found one that was sooty/black (i.e.not oil covered).
                Means it's too rich

Comment

Originally posted by jbthomp View Post
                  Means it's too rich
                  too rich, or not enough (any?) spark? I should probably start a different thread; didn't mean to hi-jack this one. My #3 is consistently black/sooty looking, the other three look perfect, and this is after a complete carb rebuild, re-Oring, carb sync, valve adjustment.

Comment

Originally posted by mhobryan View Post
                    too rich, or not enough (any?) spark? I should probably start a different thread; didn't mean to hi-jack this one. My #3 is consistently black/sooty looking, the other three look perfect, and this is after a complete carb rebuild, re-Oring, carb sync, valve adjustment.
                    yes, start your own thread so you problem can be addressed accurately after

You go up to the top and read the sticky about your bike running badly
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                    X