Always need choke to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always need choke to start

I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but since I have gotten the bike up and running, very...very consistently I need the bike at least half choked to start. As the idle goes up I move the choke a little bit at a time down until it idles without choke. Is this completely normal? Or should it not really need the choke in this warmer weather? (This only happens from a cold start by the way)

The bike also seems to run a lot better after its been ridden a few miles...once it is maybe 15 minutes into a ride and nice and hot, I feel as though acceleration is a lot smoother and it feels more quick too..

Hope this isn't a silly question, thanks for your time anyway

Yes that is totally normal. You will always have to use choke to start it. I usually pull the choke all the way, start the engine and adjust the choke until the engine runs at 2000 or so while i put my helmet and jacket on. Then i will push the choke in until i get about 1500 rpm then drive away. About a half mile or so the engine will be warmed up enough to take the choke off all the way. I proceed to beat the **** out of it after that. Have fun and don't forget that old bike loves when you abuse it

Comment

Originally posted by jbthomp View Post
      Yes that is totally normal. You will always have to use choke to start it. I usually pull the choke all the way, start the engine and adjust the choke until the engine runs at 2000 or so while i put my helmet and jacket on. Then i will push the choke in until i get about 1500 rpm then drive away. About a half mile or so the engine will be warmed up enough to take the choke off all the way. I proceed to beat the **** out of it after that. Have fun and don't forget that old bike loves when you abuse it
      Thanks! Just making sure, and I think I might avoid beating the s*** out of it, It's my first bike and I need it to last my at least a couple of years!

Comment

From the July 1982 Cycle World test of the 1100e:

"...Suzukis as a group need a lot of choke fiddling during the first minute or two after startup. The engine starts immediately on full choke and then goes to about 4500-rpm-and-climbing unless the choke is quickly backed off about halfway. The bike can be ridden away on half choke and reduced to full off after about a minute of riding, in moderate temperature conditions."

I turn my choke completely off before putting her in gear, and try to wait several minutes before creating real excitement. But sometimes I can't wait that long.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
          From the July 1982 Cycle World test of the 1100e:

"...Suzukis as a group need a lot of choke fiddling during the first minute or two after startup. The engine starts immediately on full choke and then goes to about 4500-rpm-and-climbing unless the choke is quickly backed off about halfway. The bike can be ridden away on half choke and reduced to full off after about a minute of riding, in moderate temperature conditions."

I turn my choke completely off before putting her in gear, and try to wait several minutes before creating real excitement. But sometimes I can't wait that long.
          Put down the Cycle World and slowly walk away.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            Put down the Cycle World and slowly walk away.
            Playboy and Penthouse have some interesting articles. My Suzi's OK with that. When she catches me with Cycle World, all hell breaks loose:

"Do those pictures turn you on? Those bikes don't really look like that - they're all air-brushed."

Then:

"You know, I could wear a little bikini fairing like that. Would you like that?"
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
              Playboy and Penthouse have some interesting articles.
              Keep telling yourself that.....

Comment

I'll start mine up after the helmet is on and before I put on my gloves; once the gloves are on the choke is off and I'm riding away
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

The cycle world mag was written when the bikes were new and set up from the factory lean to meet the emissions. If you richen the bike up a little you will have faster warm ups and alot of times you may not need the choke to start. I start my bike when cold , say 50 degrees and the choke is off in less than a minute, and no choke at all over 70 degrees. I don't believe I am to rich either as I have good plug color and get between 46-50 mpg and that is on a 1000G
                  1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                  80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                  1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                  83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                  85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                  1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                  “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                  If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Working...
                  X