Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

idle screw screwup

So, I'm an idiot.

The PO had blocked all the idle screw holes up with some sort of silicon or something like it. He also tuned the top end of the bike beautifully (there is a 4-1 and K&N pods on it) with the pilot completely wrong (lean.) I was on my way to what feels like perfection to me on the bottom end. Unfortunately cleaning the silicon out of the idle screw holes, or whatever he did I'm not so sure stripped the threading in the carb bodies. Three of the screws I muscled out and they work great. One of them wouldn't come out and the head started to strip. I bought a new one to replace it and tonight was trying to remove it and low and behold it completely wiped the head to a flat surface. No problem, my left handed drill bit riight? Wrong!!

so now I have no way of adjusting that screw and it's in there really good. Any suggestions? The worst part about it is everything else is perfect with the carb.

Anyone have a bs34ss #2 carb body they have laying around collecting dust?

here is the culprit

free picture upload

Standard procedure per common forum wisdom is to cut into the tower with a dremel cut off disc and make a new slot in the screw. Use PB Blaster and lots of heat to loosen the screw. Turn the screw in both ways until it moves, then more PBB and keep fiddling until the screw is out.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

That would have been the right thing to do Nessism. Unfortunately I thought the left handed drill would have enough to get it out. Completely forgetting how soft brass is. It actually moves freely up to four turns out. It just didn't have much in the way of a slot and I bought a pretty new one that I wanted to put in. I think there is no hope for this one. I would just drill it out and pull it out in pieces, but I don't want to destroy the seat and the main part of the threading. Although at this point it might not matter. Wait, maybe I can cut the tower down past the bad threads? hmmmmm. Before I do this does anyone else have and ideas of what to do or if this is a terrible idea?

Comment

You can drill it but don't drill too far or you will really screw up the carb body. The threads are only like 3/16" or so long on those so you should not have to drill too far.

I would try cutting a groove in the tower and use a good flathead screw driver to get it out before you try drilling it again. You will have to be really patient though and use heat and penetrating oil.

Comment

I sent mine to one Chef to help me out when I did the same thing. Chef or Steve from the carb services section should be able to help a guy out

Comment

Originally posted by jbthomp View Post
            You can drill it but don't drill too far or you will really screw up the carb body. The threads are only like 3/16" or so long on those so you should not have to drill too far.

I would try cutting a groove in the tower and use a good flathead screw driver to get it out before you try drilling it again. You will have to be really patient though and use heat and penetrating oil.
            there isn't much left of the tower. That's the problem. I'm really angry at myself. I just had no Idea how soft the brass to aluminum ratio was. I really thought the old screw would rethread the carb body. The other three did.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              Standard procedure per common forum wisdom is to cut into the tower with a dremel cut off disc and make a new slot in the screw.
              Originally posted by jbthomp View Post
              I would try cutting a groove in the tower and use a good flathead screw driver to get it out before you try drilling it again.
              Do you detect a theme here?

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
              Chef or Steve from the carb services section should be able to help a guy out
              I would be happy to help, but you can probably do it yourself.

When you are done, it will look like these:

If necessary, I do have a spare #2 carb.
              sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I lent my dremel to a friend. I'll get it back tonight and I am going to give it a try. Lesson learned, no matter how much you think you know what you're doing, always consult the resources first!

Comment

found a crappy generic rotary tool I had laying around and gave it a shot.

SUCCESS. I really thought I screwed the screw up too bad. The photos were crucial. I will always search here before doing anything I haven't before on the bike. Also, at the first sign of trouble.

I ****ing love this site. Donating $25 right now.

Comment

Cool, a happy ending.
                    Charles
                    --
                    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
                    X