rich, lean, or ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rich, lean, or ok?

Please look at my plugs and tell me if I am running rich, lean, or ok. I have put about 200 miles on these plugs, mostly around town but a few miles at interstate speeds.

Thanks all!

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Look a little on lean side

Comment

Looks quite lean, but.

Did you do this after a plug shop at a specific throttle position, or just pull them after riding around at various speeds and throttle positions?

The plugs indicate you are lean on at least one fuel circuit, but unless you check them at a specific throttle setting, there's no way to tell which circuit(s) it is.
      sigpic

SUZUKI:
      1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
      HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
      KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
      YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Yes, do a freeway run in safe place, hit kill switch,coast to stop and have a look at plugs.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

What Griffin said, do proper plug chops, but also look down inside the well between the insulator and the outer steel part.

Is it white all the way to the bottom? Or does it have some dark or even black way down in there?

And, how does it run? Throttle response, power, does the engine pull smoothly at every RPM and throttle position? How is the fuel consumption?

Stock GSes running perfectly tend to have fairly white plugs, especially the early 802 ones with CV carburetors. There is a lot more to this than you imagine.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

plug chops

I will do some plug chops, and look all the way down the insulators, I think they are white all the way down. I thought I was running a little rich with the mixture screws at 3-1/2 turns out because I could smell a little fuel at idle. That's where I ended up using the highest idle method. I turned them back in another 1/2 turn to lean it out some. (This was before the pic). It does pull smoothly all the way through at 3 or 3-1/2 turns. Everything is stock, so I figure the only things I should fool with are the fuel level and mixture screws. Is this correct?
            Last edited by jsandidge; 06-07-2014, 04:00 PM.

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Just to clarify, when you say 3 1/2 turns out, you mean 3 1/2 turns counter clockwise from the screws being bottomed out in the carbs? yes?

Comment

that's right

Originally posted by brad83gs View Post
                Just to clarify, when you say 3 1/2 turns out, you mean 3 1/2 turns counter clockwise from the screws being bottomed out in the carbs? yes?
                Yes, 3-1/2 turns clockwise from bottomed out. I'm trying 3-3/4 out now. Seems good.

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Hmmm, maybe i should try that. My 1100g runs pig rich, a faint smell of fuel at idle. So, bottom out the mixture screws, then go counter clockwise with them? And thats roughly factory settings? Yes, i have read the carb tuning thread, but it does not say whether you start the tuning from the top of the little cylinder that the screws ride in or the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
                    Yes, 3-1/2 turns clockwise from bottomed out. I'm trying 3-3/4 out now. Seems good.
                    When you say 3-1/2 out, are you saying full turns or 180 degree half turns.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

full turns

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                      When you say 3-1/2 out, are you saying full turns or 180 degree half turns.
                      I am saying 360 degree full turns.

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Working...
                      X