How to get a 79 GS850 to run in Denver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get a 79 GS850 to run in Denver

paging tkent02... So I just moved here from Iowa and my 79 GS850 which ran great at 1000ft barely runs at all up here at 5800ft. It stinks because I just had the carbs professionally cleaned/tuned last summer. Can I just put some new jets on there and ride again? Any suggestions on size or where to get them?

PM coming.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

For future altitude searches, per tkent02's recommendation, I dropped my main jets down two sizes. Stock mine were 102.5, I replaced with 97.5's. Bike runs like a champ again!

Got them here: http://www.z1enterprises.com/ search for "mikuni main jets"

Comment

point it down hill??????
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hi slt.

Welcome to the forum.

Just curious. Is your bike stock or has pods?

I tought I could travel to a high altitude without problems.
          Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
          1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

Originally posted by Highway_Glider View Post
            I tought I could travel to a high altitude without problems.
            If you take your GK, you will have no problems.

A little less power, but no jetting problems.

The original poster (slg) has a '79 850 with VM carbs, they don't compensate like the BS carbs so.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ha.

I tought so.

BS being CV carbs and VM being "Classic carbs". Gotcha.

Thank you steve.

I was starting to think that I had to rebuild my bike somewhere before Denver.
              Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
              1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

Originally posted by Highway_Glider View Post
                BS being CV carbs and VM being "Classic carbs".
                "VM" is the name of the series of carbs.

"BS" is the name of the series of carbs.

"CV" is the type of carbs. It stands for "Constant-Velocity", which is a result of the variable venturi, provided by the slide attached to the diaphragm.

Many different manufacturers made CV-type carbs, so if you simply say "I have CV carbs on my bike", nobody will know what you have.
                You might have Mikuni, Kehin, Bing, SU or any of several others.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'm at 3,800 ft here and I ride my bike alot at altitudes of 6,000ft up. My bike runs fine, only thing I've notice is the idle at higher elevations tends to drop. So, I have my idle on my bike set a bit high then what it calls for. Usually around 1.200-1,500 rpms.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

My '79 GS1000 runs fine at higher elevations than 5800'. There's a little "sluggishness" but that's all. For your bike to barely run I think there's other issues.
                    Changing your main jets wouldn't make your bike right again. The mains only regulate fuel at 3/4 throttle to full open. You spend the most time riding on the jet needle so if elevation was the true problem then you'd have to adjust the jet needles too, along with pilot circuit changes.
                    The VM carbs will handle higher elevations with simple air screw and possibly pilot fuel screw adjustments. At 5,800' properly running carbs/motor won't need anything more.
                    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                    X