haha pods. jetting pilots on an 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

haha pods. jetting pilots on an 1100

I know everyone will roll their eyes at another of these questions, but I'm asking anyway. So when I bought my 1100ex it was already converted to pods and a winning performance 4 into 1. The guy I bought it from was of course selling it for somebody else. He said that it was dynoed blah blah blah. I thought it was the bees knees as far as performance goes, because it is by far the fastest bike I have ever owned. I was still having lean issues according to the plugs but they weren't fouling. I did find some exhaust leaks and leaks in the intake boots so I replaced them. I took the packing out of the baffle to get more volume from the exhaust. It's still not loud enough, but at least I can hear the bike. WOW, could I hear how bad the tuning was. What was at one time a slight gargle with a few puhs on deceleration, was now loud with severe backfiring. First thing I noticed is the idle screws were filled in with some sort of rubber cement type glue. I scraped that out and managed to get it a little better with a few turns out on the idle mixture screw. I made a bracket for the carbs so they weren't hanging by the boots which helped with steady idle and performance more than I would have thought. I'm actually surprised I haven't seen that mentioned on the forums. The top end seemed to run great all the problems were in the idle off idle area so I went into the carbs to figure out what it was jetted to and what to get. I was thinking I would need a dyno stage 3, but after seeing the 138 main jet and the fact that the top end was the strongest part of the throttles powerband (hitting 5000-6000 RPMs felt like some sort of over drive,) I concluded that a dyno 3 was already installed. The pilots were still 45s and I had them about 4-5 turns out so I knew to go bigger. Plus the the LOUD gargling and popping on decel. I put in 47.5s still at 4+ turns out, more bottom end power, but the gargling and pops were less loud, but definitely still there. Time to go up again. 50's on the pilot color tuned to 3 turns out, and even more bottom end with an incredibly smooth power band, and the gurgling stopped on decel. It seems to run great, but when I engine brake I'm still getting gurgling and some popping. (It idles strong, I can get into first and cruise along without touching the throttle on a flat to slight incline at 1000rpm idle.) I was thinking of going up to a 52.5 on the pilot, but I haven't heard of anyone else going that big. I guess my question is, should I look for another problem or is it possible I need a pilot jet that big? Or should I just say screw it the bike will gurgle and pop on heavy decel/ engine braking?

I have the same bike, running pods, & a 4-1 with a stage 3 jet kit...

First off, the pilots are NOT adjustable. They stay seated into their passage - take care not to overtighten them. Are the rubber plugs there?

What notch are you jet needles at?
    Are your pods clean & oiled?

My set-up at present is:
    Dyno 138 mains
    47.5 pilots
    170 air jets
    jet needle at second notch from the bottom
    idle screws at 2 turns out

I recently cleaned all the gunk off my pods & was debating on oiling them or not, because after I cleaned them (letting considerably more intake air in) I can't get past 7K RPM without hitting what feels like a rev limiter... Before that it ripped you off the seat at WOT right through redline!

Tomorrow I am installing Mikuni 135 mains & setting the idle screws at 1.5 turns.

I recently synced the carbs as well & that smoothed it out nicely.

I think you are running rich in the idle circuit, try turning your idle screws to 2 turns out & see what happens.
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

if you don't have adjustable needles then you don't have a jet kit.
      you only needed a nice wire tie to hang the carbs as they need to move some what and not be solid.

Comment

My 1100EZ was just jetted on a dyno by a professional racer/tuner/builder. It's stock except for the V&H "Street Megaphone" and APE pods. It starts instantly, idles beautifully and pulls very hard from idle to redline with nary a cough or stutter. And yes, it does a fair amount of popping on decel.

I was told when I bought it that the pipe "needs" repacking, but I like it a little loud.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
          My 1100EZ was just jetted on a dyno by a professional racer/tuner/builder. It's stock except for the V&H "Street Megaphone" and APE pods. It starts instantly, idles beautifully and pulls very hard from idle to redline with nary a cough or stutter. And yes, it does a fair amount of popping on decel.

I was told when I bought it that the pipe "needs" repacking, but I like it a little loud.
          Did you ever post the setting?

Comment

So what are the jetting specifics?
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
              So what are the jetting specifics?
              beat you!

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                beat you!
                Of course! You have a faster bike!
                '85 GS550L - SOLD
                '85 GS550E - SOLD
                '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                '81 GS750L - SOLD
                '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                  you only needed a nice wire tie to hang the carbs as they need to move some what and not be solid.
                  Yes, good point - that's exactly what I've been doing. No problems.
                  '85 GS550L - SOLD
                  '85 GS550E - SOLD
                  '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                  '81 GS750L - SOLD
                  '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

I'll get the specifics as soon as I can get out to his shop again. I know he used (at least I paid for!) a Dynojet Stage 3 kit, but he said there were other parts that he would need, that he had around the shop or could get his hands on.

I will try to get that info out as soon as possible.

I remember I was originally insistent on him road testing the bike, but he said that would serve no purpose, as the Dynojet is more accurate than the "ass-dyno."
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I'll get the specifics as soon as I can get out to his shop again. I know he used (at least I paid for!) a Dynojet Stage 3 kit, but he said there were other parts that he would need, that he had around the shop or could get his hands on.

I will try to get that info out as soon as possible.

I remember I was originally insistent on him road testing the bike, but he said that would serve no purpose, as the Dynojet is more accurate than the "ass-dyno."
                      As long as you're happy with the results, then that's all that counts.

I wouldn't think it should still be popping though...
                      '85 GS550L - SOLD
                      '85 GS550E - SOLD
                      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                      '81 GS750L - SOLD
                      '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
                        I wouldn't think it should still be popping though...
                        Only on decel from high revs.

Comment

Yes, that's when they do it... mine was/does still pop more than I want on occasions.

I’ve come to realize that with carburetors you never have them spot-on for all types of “atmospheric conditions.’

I’ve found that setting the mixture screws correctly eliminates a whole lot of that popping – they don’t have to be turned out far at all. Mine are at something less than 2 turns.
                          '85 GS550L - SOLD
                          '85 GS550E - SOLD
                          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                          '81 GS750L - SOLD
                          '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Im glad Im still stock .
                            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                              Im glad Im still stock .
                              I know, right? I have the airbox, but never got the stock exhausts for my $100 when i bought her in boxes... so i can't ever go back to completely stock.

I like the pods & pipe - looks sexy & screams down the road too fast for my own good. What's not to like??
                              '85 GS550L - SOLD
                              '85 GS550E - SOLD
                              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                              '81 GS750L - SOLD
                              '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Working...
                              X