Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

78 gs1000 gasoline poring out of overflow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 gs1000 gasoline poring out of overflow.

With the petcock in prime position , gas will start POURING out of the overflow after several min. If the petcock is in run position the bike will start and run without problems. So , I'm I looking forward to a wonderful carb strip-down and rebuild or what

Thanks for the help and advice.

Originally posted by Geo View Post
    With the petcock in prime position , gas will start POURING out of the overflow after several min. If the petcock is in run position the bike will start and run without problems. So , I'm I looking forward to a wonderful carb strip-down and rebuild or what

Thanks for the help and advice.
    You only put the petcock on prime to fill the carbs .. tap on the bowl thats leaking with a screwdriver , maybe your floats stuck ..
    This happened to my bike & Tken suggested that and it worked for me

Comment

Take it off Prime and go for a ride.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

So what you nice folks are telling me is that this is not an unusual condition when the prime is left on? Please say yes......

Comment

Theoretically the floats will stop the fuel at least for a while. Some of them will hold it a long time or forever, some don't. It doesn't really matter as long as the petcock shuts off completely, and you don't leave it on Prime. The bike running uses more fuel than what leaks, so they are able to hold the correct level in the float bowls anyway. You check this when you check the fuel level with the engine running. If the level is in the right place, the floats and valves are working good enough.

So no it's not unusual for some fuel to spill out when it's on PRI, it's not right but it's usually no big deal. You shouldn't normally leave it on Prime more than 15 - 20 seconds or so.

Sometimes a float will get stuck wide open, sometimes it gets caught on the gasket, the needle gets stuck in it's bore, who knows what, it just gets stuck. For whatever reason it doesn't close up the valve, fuel comes out the overflow. Whacking it will sometimes get it to work correctly.

If you have to pull the carbs apart to clean them that's no big deal either.

Kind of a basic GS thing.

Comment

Yeh. I know it's basic GS stuff. I pulled and cleaned the crabs on my 550....TWICE before I got it right.... I was hoping for a summer of riding before a carb strip down and you answered my question. I did leave the prime on for several Min and now I suspect several floats may be stuck (hello seafoam).
            Thanks

Comment

How does it run?

Comment

Running around town, OK ,I have yet to take it on the highway, no inspection.. She does start right up. idles well after warm up and throttle response is good.
                I do have a ZI petcock rebuild kit in the wings just as a precaution.
                Thanks

Comment

Floats set at the right hts and with good needles should NOT allow fuel to get high enough to reach the top of the over flow tube...youve got something set wrong or bad needles. Recheck float hts, needles for wear, and be sure the floats arent hitting on any of the gasket edges.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Agreed with Chuck. Even in prime you should not have gas pouring from the overflow. You have a leaking float valve that needs to be addressed. Even if it only leaks a little, you have the potential of being stranded if the leak gets worse. Take the day and pull the carbs. You'll have a much better riding season afterwards.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

OH...and check that little spring loaded thing at the top of the needles...sometimes they stick or simply break. That must be springy and free moving as well. Even if the float hts are right and the springy thing is junk, the needles will fall down and fail regardless if the hts are correct or not.
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

You folks ore just FULL of wonderful news.
                        What would you recommend that I have on hand before tearing into the carbs.
                        Never tore down these types of carbs and I don't want to get into the middle of the job needing to order parts .

Thanks.

P.S. Happy and Good Fathers Day to all

Comment

Same as you would for Vms...nothing special about CVs really. Bikecliffs website has the tutorials on the right hand side

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                            Same as you would for Vms...nothing special about CVs really. Bikecliffs website has the tutorials on the right hand side
                            If it's a 78 1000 then he has VM's. Still only O-rings and maybe float bowl gaskets should be needed.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

After I'd had it for 6 or 8 years My 450 was dumping gas one time after the off (winter) season. I just got it running and that was that - it was well again. I never left if on prime for more than 30sec or so as best I remember; just enough to get it started if it had sat for a while.

Comment

Working...
                              X