New air filters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
    getting tired of carrying that horse to the water trough?
    how did you guess?

Comment

Use Emgos on 650 Yammies for many years, never had a problem until they got a little age on them. Cheap to replace either way. But I like foam pods much better anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
        Use Emgos on 650 Yammies for many years, never had a problem until they got a little age on them. Cheap to replace either way. But I like foam pods much better anyway.
        they work on some bikes better than others...
        i had a bad time with the emgo's on 16 valve suzuki's..they are small and shaped funny on the inlet side.
        i removed the filters and the bike ran perfect...wasted a lot of time.
        it's a kinda of you get what you pay for thing...

Comment

The only pod filters I have ever used are K&N. They have worked perfectly and last forever. I have seen Emgo and other brands of junk filters fall apart in a matter of months. Why spend more to replace them over and over, when I can buy K&N filters ONE TIME and be done?

Comment

I was looking into APE filters, a they are $60 and heard good things from a few guys on here. I'm not sure which K&N's to look at, plus they are around $125 for our of them. Any input about the quality of APE's air filters? How much better are the K&N's?

Comment

I can't report on APE pods, since I have never tried them. Like you, I have seen good things about them here. I have K&N's on my bikes, so there is no need for me to test APE filters.

Comment

K&N's run $50 a piece. I just find that ridiculous, unless there is an amazing reason why they are priced so high. Durability? Rain/dust resistant?

Comment

Consider the APE pods as clones of the K&N pods. If I had make the choice, I would go with the APE pods in a flash.
                  K&N pods are so expensive because they have a reputation, and people will pay for it. APEs are the new kid on the block, and they did not have to pay the R&D costs that K&N did back when they first started down the path.

Comment

A set of four K&N pods runs about $150 at Z1 Enterprizes:

APE pods are $60 on their website, and they list a set specifically fitting your bike:

I have K&N pods on my GPZ750 and GS1100E, only because they both came equipped with them, so they were "free".

To me, if I were to buy them myself, the choice is pretty clear.
                    sigpic

SUZUKI:
                    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

ape pods are better than fine.
                      1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                        I have K&N pods on my GPZ750 and GS1100E, only because they both came equipped with them, so they were "free".

To me, if I were to buy them myself, the choice is pretty clear.
                        I have K&N pods on my 650. They were on the bike when I bought it. I have a factory-style K&N on the GK that I bought for around $30 several years ago. If I were buying new, I'd go with the APE filters, all other things being equal.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ View Post
                          I have K&N pods on my 650. They were on the bike when I bought it. I have a factory-style K&N on the GK that I bought for around $30 several years ago. If I were buying new, I'd go with the APE filters, all other things being equal.
                          Me too....
                          sigpic

SUZUKI:
                          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

K & N's just a little too proud of their stuff now.

I passed on the $65 K&N air filter for my Firebird from O'Reilly's and opted temporarily for the $12 paper one; then I sprung for an SLP intake, and got a blue K&N style filter with it. Can't remember the brand, but it was cheaper.
                            Last edited by Guest; 07-13-2014, 05:38 PM.

Comment

APE filters on two bikes now.

Good quality and performance.

Nic
                              83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Originally posted by JJ View Post
                                The only pod filters I have ever used are K&N.
                                That's what I have on my only bike (not the GS1000) with pods, now, and that's what most folks around here use, other than the APE ones....
                                Last edited by gsgeezer; 07-11-2014, 11:18 PM.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                                X