shimming jet needle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shimming jet needle

Hey guys i recently shimmed my valves, and some were pretty bad. But awhile back my exhaust went bad so i put on after market. Well after that i had a flat spot in the 45mph area and bogged on open throttle . So i increased main and needle jet sizes. It stopped the bogging down but i still had a flat spot so i then shimmed the jet needle. Problem solved. But now that i have re shimmed the previous owners bad valve job, should i un shim my jet needle? Flat spot didnt occur untill after exhaust change, but shouldnt have re jetting my carbs have fixed that? So i was thing that the valves being so off my have been contributing to the flat spot unnoticeable at that time, and the changing of the exhaust did it in? Yes,No. Any ideas, thanks. 83 850Gld. Also at this time i am replacing intake boots and plug wires and caps. This valve shim will also be giving proper compression in #2.

As long as the valves in spec at the time u did the valve job. Shouldn't have to change back. Check plug color. What rpm do you know the flatspot? What do you have for pilots and mains right now?

Comment

I cannot remember what rpm it was, but rpm didn't matter. Only did it at the 45-50mph range. Jets I went from a 115 to a 117 and a 40 to a 4?(cant recall). #40 went up to one that has a .5 in it just cant recall what. But went up one size from 115 and a 40. I'm guessing that the valves were bad when all this was done.

Comment

Welcome to the world of carb re-jetting.

Be prepared for a ride that can be rather frustrating.

You will almost NEVER get it right the first time.

Make ONE change at a time, record your results.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

117 and 42.5

Comment

Working...
          X