Rain cover for Pods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain cover for Pods?

I have a real problem with the bike running like a turd in the rain. I've got pod filters on, so I know why. I was wondering if anyone had used anything to block the rain from 1,4? I may try to fab something out of a flexible sheet plastic, just checking if anyone has already done something to save me the trouble.

Welcome to pods!!! Do away with them and get the OEM airbox. Or dont ride unless its sunny out.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Are you certain it's not the electrical system? I don't have an 1100E so maybe it is different that way.....but I've ridden a couple bikes with pods in the rain with no issues. I'd check for sparking around the spark plug wires - the insulation can become worn allowing water to interfere with a proper spark.

Comment

if the pods are oiled correctly they should not be affected by "normal" rain water.
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

K&N sell ''bags'' for pod filter, they call them Drycharger.
          Air is freeflowing but water cannot pass.# yaers ago my gs stalled in a heavy rain, filter so soaked with water that the engine stalled, just likr way too much gas.I was able to restart it after removing the filters and made it home without filter in rain.After this i bought 4 K&N drycharger.
          Marc
          AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
          1978 GS1000C X2
          1978 GS1000E X2
          1979 GS1000S
          1979 gs1000
          1983 gs400e

Comment

Chuck, I won't do away with them, OR not ride in the rain! It's rideable In the rain, just runs poorly above 4000 RPMs.
            Rich, I'm about 90% sure it's the pods. It runs the same way when I clean the pods and don't dry them 100% before running.
            Agemax, It runs in the rain, just stumbles when trying to rev higher. I'm pretty sure it's oiled properly.
            Kochic, I'll look for that! Thanks!

Comment

I was curious also and did some googling...another option, but don't know how good of an option is a half shield

Explore our collection over 20,000 motorcycle parts online. Motorcycle gloves, dirt bike parts, motorcycle tank bags, leather jackets, motorcycle brakes, motorcycle boots, motorcycle batteries, motorbike tyres and or any other type of Products related to the motorcycle. Free delivery over $95.
              82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
              80 gs1000s

Comment

Keep your knees tight against the tank while riding in the rain as that is where the majority of the river of water flows into the outer filters.
                Those bags might help and are about $12.00 each IIRC.

Comment

Personally, I avoid riding in the rain. When I do get caught, I rarely rev over 4000. That's my manual "traction control".

But I do have pods, and have never noticed any problems.

Please be careful. I'm sure you know that sometimes a damp road can be more dangerous than a totally soaked one.

K&N filter "wraps": http://www.knfilters.com/search/wrap.aspx
                  Last edited by Rob S.; 07-05-2014, 12:37 AM.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I've never had problems with pods in the rain.
                    Maybe your spark plug wires are bad.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                      I've never had problems with pods in the rain.
                      Maybe your spark plug wires are bad.
                      i didn't think it rained where you live????

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                        i didn't think it rained where you live????
                        I'm a transplant.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                          I'm a transplant.
                          is that a cross dressing cactus?
                          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Now you delightful jerks are going to make me check my ignition system!!!

Comment

It might be the (aerodynamic) shape of your bike and some kind of deflectors might help. Where I used to live there was a Vintage motorcycle shop near in Winchester Va. The owner had a bike like yours and complained of having trouble on the highway with 18 wheelers when he passed them the air wash made his bike stumble with the pods. I could ride in that position all day without a problem and have ridden in quite rainy conditions for long periods without problems. Having said that, if you still have plug caps, check them, Bakelite becomes porous with heat and age and can cause problems, the main reason I switched to Dyna coils and wires.
                              Last edited by OldVet66; 07-05-2014, 10:40 AM.
                              '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
                              X