Carb Dipping Process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Dipping Process

So I have all four of my carbs apart right now, and everything in bags. I want to make sure I dip them for long enough, as I just did the 20 minutes that the can says. Is overnight a better idea for the carb body/bigger parts? Or even the little parts?

i think the consensus here is 24hrs.
    -Mark
    Boston, MA
    Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
    sigpic
    1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

20 minutes won't likely do a whole lot, especially if they are really dirty. As mvalenti stated, 24 hours is the rule of thumb. That will clean 'em up very well.

Cheers!
      K

Comment

The directions on the can were probably written way back when the chemicals inside the can could probably do the job in 20 minutes or so. However, over the years, the environmentalist weenies have watered down the mix inside the can but have not bothered to edit the directions. Where the directions say "15-20 minutes", that needs to be changed to "15-20 hours".

When you dip your parts, make sure you are not dipping anything that is rubber. One part that might catch you by surprise is the "choke" plunger. Spray it off to clean it, but do NOT dip it. The parts that I dip include: carb body, float bowl, main jet, pilot fuel jet, pilot air jet, needle jet and the carb cap. Yeah, there are no ports in the cap, but the soak will remove any clear-coat, making them much easier to polish.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

A pre-dip cleanup is one time that your carb spray can make a difference, if the carbs are especially greazy.

If you get the external phlegm and jetsam off of there, it won't dilute and pollute your expensive carb dip. For your next carb cleanup job, of course.

I have Berryman's that is probably eight years old, and as far as I know, it's still effective. Until it eats its way through the can and pukes all over my shelving...
          and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
          __________________________________________________ ______________________
          2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Okay I just wanted to make sure that overnight wouldn't be too harmful, and I had read that overnight is the best thing to do. So I'll make sure to do that the next week or so when I'm waiting for parts to come in.

Comment

here's a link to an excellent web site with tutorials on many things including carb cleaning and rebuilding.

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Comment

Working...
              X