pop than my carbs started leaking? help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pop than my carbs started leaking? help

I put my fresh carbs back onto my bike this evening (dipped and new O rings) and tryed to turn it over for the first time. Well she turned over and started than there was a pop and it died when I went to restart it gas was coming out of the carbs but it did start. No gas apperd to be coming out of the over flow lines.

What should I look at first to try and fix that gas's leaking.

The bike is a 1980 gs750L stock airbox.

Adam

How's your petcock ?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
      How's your petcock ?
      Working....I think... If it was not working right what would be happing?

Comment

Your fuel would be continuously flowing, even with the bike off. Unless your floats and needle valves are working exactly the way they should, fuel will bypass the floats and flood the carbs, much like you're describing.

Comment

Your fuel would be continuously flowing, even with the bike off. Unless your floats and needle valves are working exactly the way they should, fuel will bypass the floats and flood the carbs, much like you're describing.
          OK I will have a look at that then. What part of the carbs would the gas leak from in that sanareo?

Thanks for your help and sorry for what might be stopped questions just trying to lurn as much as I can from my mistakes and success.

Comment

Originally posted by akiy View Post
            No gas apperd to be coming out of the over flow lines.
            That would be a neat trick, considering that you don't have any overflow lines.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

This style carb-CV- doesn't have overflow line,bad petcock and/or leaky needle seats just lets fuel flow into the carb throat (see pic of carb)
              Also make sure you understand hose connections to carbs -see link

Attached Files
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                This style carb-CV- doesn't have overflow line,bad petcock and/or leaky needle seats just lets fuel flow into the carb throat (see pic of carb)
                Also make sure you understand hose connections to carbs -see link

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...locations.html
                When I said over flow I meant vent lines. How would I check to see if I had a sticky neaky needle seats?

Comment

First, I would confirm that your petcock is working correctly. Pull the fuel line from the fuel tee between #2 and #3 carbs, with your petcock set in the RUN position. If you have fuel flowing, you need a new petcock. If no fuel flows, pull the vacuum line from the #2 carb nipple and apply suction to that line. If fuel flows from the petcock when you do this, it is working correctly in the run position.

Next, with the lines still removed, turn the petcock to the PRI position. If fuel flows in that position, you won't need a new petcock.

If the above mentioned steps fail to yield the results listed, DO NOT try to rebuild your petcock to save a few bucks. MOST have had limited to no success from the rebuild "kits" and you run the risk of repeating the problems you are having now.

The fact that you have raw fuel leaking out of the carbs OR into the carbs, tells me without a doubt, that your floats aren't doing their jobs OR that the float level is set too high.

Comment

Next, with the lines still removed, turn the petcock to the PRI position. If fuel flows in that position, you won't need a new petcock.
                    Just want to add, sometimes you need some vacuum to get it started but once started should flow freely in the Prime position.

Comment

Working...
                    X