BST34SS float issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BST34SS float issues

I have these BST34SS carbs off of a gsx1100f katana I rebuilt with a DJ kit for use with pods.

I can't get the floats adjusted right. They either overflow or the carbs don't get any gas. Is there a way I can manually set them for use with my GS1100?

never heard of no such issues..
    great carbs IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
      never heard of no such issues..
      great carbs IMO.
      Picked them up from a salvage site for $90 freshly rebuilt! Now if I can just figure these stupid floats out....

Comment

This post has all the info you need for that model carb. Seriously

Comment

Originally posted by rwnielsen View Post
          http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159718
          This post has all the info you need for that model carb. Seriously
          I've tried using the specs on that site, but I've been told that since the carbs are mounted at an angle on the katana, that I had to manually set the floats to work with the gs1100, I just don't know what specs to set it to. Do people have this same problem with the bst36ss carbs?

Comment

I have the 36's on my bike. I set them inverted as I recall at 14.6mm or thereabouts. The metal tang on the float I S tricky to adjust. Take out the plugs on the mixture screws if they're still in there

Comment

Originally posted by rwnielsen View Post
              I have the 36's on my bike. I set them inverted as I recall at 14.6mm or thereabouts. The metal tang on the float I S tricky to adjust. Take out the plugs on the mixture screws if they're still in there
              I'll give it another go in the morning, thanks a ton!

Comment

Why don't you use the clear hose method so you can actually see where the fuel level is at while they're on the bike?
                Rob
                1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

You also need to measure the fuel level with a clear hose at the front of the float bowl area, not the rear because of the angle. I have the same carbs on my GS1000 and are not experiencing the problems you are, I am just fine tuning them and do require a DJ stage 3 kit.
                  1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
                  1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

You certainly need a accurate measuring device to determine the float height. For bending the tab I use a very small set of channel lock style pliers to hold the tab straight while slightly bending it. Be careful not to distort the area the floats are attached to. It is a multistage process of bending and checking until the measurement is dead on. With your troubles it seems to me you have really gotten things out of whack with a heavy handed approach of adjustment. Here are some float measuring devices, the first to set the height in the service manual and the other two to visually check the height on the bike depending on your carburetors: http://www.z1enterprises.com/ListIte...rds=float+tool
                    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                      Why don't you use the clear hose method so you can actually see where the fuel level is at while they're on the bike?
                      That's the only way I've had any success with floats.

Comment

adjusted the floats to 14.6mm.

I'll go out and try the clear hose method in the morning, I have it so that the bike is at least idling. When I twist the throttle it hesitates pretty badly. I have the a/f screws set at 2 1/2 turns out.

Comment

Working...
                        X