ahhhh...finally runnning like a top.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ahhhh...finally runnning like a top.

After lots of trial and error and help from the good people on the gsr i finally got my 81 gs550t running great! Im running a 4 into 1 with a very lightly baffled straight pipe, and dual oval k&n filters. The PO had 130 mains and 45 pilots but i ended up using stock 40 pilots and 115 mains. I also cleaned the carbs and bit the bullet and purchased new carb boots, which made a world of differnce. I had to take the carbs off and and put them on about 8 times, which is not the easiest on this bike but it was well worth it to have it running so smoothly.

If the 550 is anything like the 650 and you are running with the airbox, I would guess you have ended up exactly where you should be.

Now go out there and ride
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
      If the 550 is anything like the 650 and you are running with the airbox, I would guess you have ended up exactly where you should be.
      That is not the impression that I got.
      Originally posted by Quest View Post
      A Im running a 4 into 1 with a very lightly baffled straight pipe, and dual oval k&n filters.

Originally posted by Quest View Post
      The PO had 130 mains and 45 pilots but i ended up using stock 40 pilots and 115 mains.
      Considering that the stock jetting was 92.5, you might be a bit rich on the mains, but definitely a LOT closer than the 130s.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        That is not the impression that I got.

Considering that the stock jetting was 92.5, you might be a bit rich on the mains, but definitely a LOT closer than the 130s.

oops...darn multitasking bit me on the butt again. Didn't see the reference to the pods.

At least we agree that 130 is way too big either way.

I ended up at 115 on the mains with my 650 with the airbox and 4:1, keeping the stock pilots, and I'm pretty happy with it. Of course, the stock mains on the '83 650G were 110s.

Let's see some plug chops to get a feel for how your jetting is working.
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
        X