1979 GS750L petcock rebuild kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS750L petcock rebuild kit?

I've been searching online for a petcock rebuild kit for my 1979 GS750L. I can find plenty of kits for 81's onward, and for straight '79 GS750's, however I can't seem to find one for the "L" series. I don't want to order an incorrect kit if I can avoid it. I found one site that specifically stated the 1979 GS750 rebuild kit does not fit the GS750L. Any suggestions?

"Crake"

Suggestion? Sure. Skip the rebuild kit, get a complete petcock.

I am not sure exactly why, but the success rate for petcock rebuilds tends to be around 10-15%.

Since the rebuild kit is already a major portion of a new petcock, skip the disappointment, go straight for the new one.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Remove your existing petcock and measure mounting bolt spacing.Also note direction fuel line and vacuum line face- could they be reversed 180 degrees without interference??
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I am not sure exactly why, but the success rate for petcock rebuilds tends to be around 10-15%.

Since the rebuild kit is already a major portion of a new petcock, skip the disappointment, go straight for the new one.

I took this route myself. Another option is to get a simple on/off valve like a pingle valve. You just have to get your bolt spacing correct. The easiest option is to get a new petcock.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Concurs with Steve. rebuild kits are just about pointless.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
          X