1981 1000gl Exhaust questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 1000gl Exhaust questions

I will start by saying I am new to Suzuki GS's. I have done some reading and did use the search function first.

My question is this. What headers will fit my 81 1000gl? Some are listed to only fit to 1980 others only say they fit the E model. What is the difference as far as what fits what? I am ok with fabricating and making things fit as long as the header fits the head. Along with that will a header that fits an 750 or 850 or 1100 ect fit as well? Sorry for the newbe question. I just got this bike on trade and it's rough. The exhaust is rusted out bald flat tires brake arm was seized in the pivot broken left side switch cover and on and on.

So as I fix if I am going to spend money, I want to spend it on performance upgrades like a 4 into 1 header.

Did I also read somewhere the carbs off of a newer GS or GSX are a direct replacement and provide performance gains?

How about a 17" front wheel that matches the rear? I have seen 18 and 19 I have a 19 now but would like a 17". That's not a big deal just curious.

I like the look of a 4 into 1 and the sound as well. I have no problem jetting carbs. Just looking to get pointed in the right direction. I want to buy used and spend as little as possible. I want to know all possibilities so I can start searching.

One last question. There is a spring loaded knob under the carbs attached to the back of the cylinders. What is that and what does it do?

I know I probably should have separated each question into it's own thread. My main questions are about the exhaust and carburetors the rest was just afterthought. Thank You in advance. I'm looking forward to bringing this bike back from the dead.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-16-2014, 04:48 PM.

". looking forward to bringing this bike back from the dead."

So it's not running now???? Or sorta running ? That "spring loaded knob" is the auto cam chain tensioner gizmo - best left alone,unless someone has already fiddled with it (incorrectly).
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I drained old gas tank and carb bowels gave the plugs a quick scrub filled carbs with fresh gas. The bike did try to start one time before battery was to dead to turn it over.

The spark looked weak when I checked it by laying a plug ocross the cylinder head and watching the spark but it did have some spark. The plug wires are old and #3 is weather cracked near plug boot. Plugs looked ok. I'm going to charge the battery and give it another try Friday I'm just doing some research because if the carbs need cleaned or rebuilt and there is a better option available used I will replace before I refurbish what is on it.

The bike definitely needs exhaust so a 4 into 1 is first on the purchase and replace list.

Comment

So it looks to me that 750-1100 exhaust all bolt to the head the same? There is a header on an 1100 that's getting parted out. Before I buy it I want to be sure it will bolt up?

Comment

Can anyone tell me if the 1100 header will bolt to my 8 valve 1000GL? If not Why?

Comment

I am not sure about 1100 fitting onto an 1000 but I will be able to provide measurements at some point tonight. I am looking at getting an exhaust that came off an 1150 and so me and the guy are making sure they fit before I fork over the money.

Comment

Ok thanks. What measurements should I be concerned with? pipe dia, pipe spacing, flange bolt spacing or all of it?

Comment

If that 1100 header is from an 1100G, it should bolt right up.
                If it's from an 1100E, I don't really know.

The measurements to note will include:
                - flange bolt spacing
                - port-to-port spacing (cylinder spacing)
                - angle of flange
                - height from edge of flange to bottom bend
                - tube (flange) diameter

More, I'm sure, but that will weed out some of the obvious ones.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The header is from on an 1100E. So I take it there is a difference in mounting between the 16V and the 8V heads?

Comment

Yes, the spacing is different between the 16v and 8v heads. If the header tubes on your pipe are "loose" rather than welded it might work but I would check the flanges to make sure they work as well.
                    I went with a V and H for around 330 bucks and it's a decent pipe. The chrome is so-so with a void area in the rear but it sounds OK and I ended up with a nearly stock jetting for it. I might tap the mains up a little bit but it worked with my stock bike as is. I increased the pilot jets to 42.5 but left the mains at 115 and the needles are stock. Anything above 117 and you are just wasting gas.
                    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Ok then the one I'm looking at will not work It's off of an 1981 1100e.

I would prefer a used non chrome header but I'm guessing not to many people put 4 into 1's on the 8 valve engines so I will probably have to buy new. Looks like mac makes a black header for 330.00 I just hate to spend that much as I traded a car worth maybe 600.00 for the whole bike.

I am Trying to make this a budget back on the road mild custom deal. The bike is rough and I know the gl bikes are not sought after. I just want to get it back on the road ride it for the summer and sell it for what I have in it next spring.

Comment

Originally posted by kckershovel View Post
                        Ok then the one I'm looking at will not work It's off of an 1981 1100e.

I would prefer a used non chrome header but I'm guessing not to many people put 4 into 1's on the 8 valve engines so I will probably have to buy new. Looks like mac makes a black header for 330.00 I just hate to spend that much as I traded a car worth maybe 600.00 for the whole bike.

I am Trying to make this a budget back on the road mild custom deal. The bike is rough and I know the gl bikes are not sought after. I just want to get it back on the road ride it for the summer and sell it for what I have in it next spring.
                        Learn to MIG weld - you can make anything fit anything.
                        If your port sizes are teh same as the 1100E pipe, but it's just too long (or too short) then cut, sleeve and weld.
                        Hell, even if the ports are different, you could use the old stubs cut off the original rotten system and weld on the newer downpipes to them.
                        If you have a pipe to fit, make it fit.
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

That is a very good point. I was thinking about using the 4 pipes I have and getting a collector and making it fit.

I like the Idea about just swapping stubs. That should be easy. I can't believe I didn't think of that thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X