Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking Bandit carbs on GS1100

Hi All:

Spent some time searching for answers. Didn't find what I was looking for. So, here we go.

1983 GS 1100 ES. Suzuki Bandit 1200 carbs (early version?). Just getting the bike up and running. Or at least trying to. Carbs are leaking out the air ports at the mouth of the carbs. Obvious problem is overflowing.

So...

Info I can find indicates float height should be set at 13 mm from gasket base surface to top of float (with carbs set at about 45 degree so as not to pre-load the inlet valve).

I also replaced the fuel inlet valve assembly on each carb with K&L rebuild kits.

Damn things are still leaking. For some reason the valve needles just will not seal. I've checked the floats to make sure they actually float. If I gently push the floats up I can stop flow (gently blowing on the fuel inlet line - don't breath in... ) I've tried different float height settings (15 mm, 17 mm) to put more pressure on the fuel valve assembly when fuel is in the float bowl. Nothing seems to work.

I should mention that I'm using a remote gas reservoir and testing on my bench.

At this point I'm rather stumped as to why the fuel valve assemblies will not seal properly. Original parts were not sealing either, which prompted the replacement K&L parts.

Any ideas? Anyone...

Should I give up and try cleaning the original carbs?
Working...
X