Another blockage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another blockage

So in my cleaning endeavours, the carb that came off of the grotty set i bought off of ebay has a blocked pipe, searching on here i think it may be called an Enrichener passage? its a small tube that sticks up just over from the pilot jet tube, and goes into the float bowl, thus feeding it when the choke is pulled open.

it is the tiniest of holes and i am just wondering if anyone has any suggestions of how to get this tiny passageway unblocked, ofc i am trying the soak it method but i don't at present have anything small enough to poke down it, is this the only way, just time and patience and hope that the soaking will do it?

I do have a compressor but it is only a hobby one, so not that powerful, but i am periodically trying to blow thru it with that.

GS550L 1980, Mikuni BS32SS carbs

thanks for any hints and tips

Have you disassembled the carbs and soaked the bodies in carb dip? Do they sell carb dip in England? If not, do they sell that Yamaha carb dip stuff that mixes with water?

You don't need a powerful compressor, just one that gets to 90 psi or so. A single strand of thin wire typically helps root out those blocked passages. Stainless steel wire typically used for wire tying aviation hardware is about the right thickness but measure to know for sure.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yep, after a good soaking in whatever chemicals you have available, poking with a single strand of multi-strand wire (I use copper) usually does the trick.

I have a couple different sections of wire that I use. One has thicker strands that I use for the main and needle jets, as well as the side holes in the pilot jets. I have another section of wire with much thinner strands that I use for the "choke" tubes and the tips of the pilot jets.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

yeah i am soaking it, just need to find a thin enough piece of wire now then

Comment

Just strip back a few cm of insulation off some wire to use single strands. Might have to find some different wire to get some thin strands, but that's OK, you will need at least two sizes anyway.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

hmm, did that to an old extension lead we had laying around, fits but its so weak and bendy that tbh it's not much good, the hunt continues

trying to get this fluid down into that tiny hole is being a real pain, but from the other end it all just flows out everywhere else

Comment

Soak it real good and use the air to blow it out. maybe a wire from a bread tie wrap will work. And be sure to soak the bowls and poke the hole out in the bottom of the hole the pick up tube sticks into. The hole at the bottom allows fuel to get to the tube, so it too must be clear.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Try a guitar string. They come in several gauges.

Comment

Rudeman i think the old man would kill me if i started canabalising his guitars of their strings LOL

good news managed to find something and its free and clear, so now with that being the last bit time to rebuild them and put their shiny new jets in place

Hopefully tomorrow can get them onto the bike, fingers crossed all goes well, it's been a long hard slog getting her sorted out this last year

Comment

Working...
                  X