Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power loss on a road trip. Diagnostic help needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power loss on a road trip. Diagnostic help needed.

I was riding my 78GS1000 on a road trip, and had an adventure. The bike has a stock airbox with a K&N filter, stock coils, and is 1500 miles post valve check up. It has a Dyna S electronic ignition. Spark plugs are fresh this season. It had been running very strongly for the first 500 mile leg of the trip, and had started perfectly for the past 5 years. Carburetor rebuild is due, last one 5 years ago,but no evidence of problems have shown themselves until now.

Yesterday I had just completed the first 150 of a 350 mile trip. This was on 70 mph roads. All was well until three hours in, when the bike began to sputter. It began at 70 mph on a strong 8 percent down hill stretch. Note that this bike rarely gets a chance to run on roads over 60 mph, and this was its first sustained high speed run in about a year. Bike would start, but needed lots of choke, and would not maintain idle without some throttle. Got it 10 miles into the nearest town, thankfully on a strong down grade, and checked it over as best I could.

It acted like it was not firing on all four, or had bad fuel or water in the tank. All four headers were warm indicating all four were firing. Checked all four plug leads, clipped them a bit shorter and reinstalled the caps. Oil was normal with no smell of gas, or over consumption. Strong smell of unburned fuel from the exhaust. Gave it a dose of methyl hydrate to dry the fuel, but this made no difference. There was no backfiring. Petcock was delivering fuel. Running on prime made no difference. Petcock screen is freshly cleaned. At first it would surge to normal power for a second or two, and then back to poor running. No signs of overheating, detonation, or backfiring, but a strong unburned fuel smell. After the first half hour, it stopped surging, and stayed in pig mode.

I eventually abandoned my original trip, after some contemplation and tinkering in the shade, and headed straight for home. I decided given what I could see that no harm would come if I proceeded cautiously, and checked the bike frequently to be sure. I was able to run it on the highway, 40 mph on uphill grades, 50 to 55 or better on the flat or on down grades. 4500 rpm tops. It would bog in 4th gear unless on a downhill, 5th gear was impossible. I stopped to check the engine frequently, and other than pig like performance, could find nothing. Keeping the revs up, it moved and eventually got me home. 5 hours later. I even enjoyed the trip, and learned to ride it as well as possible.

Fuel consumption was double normal rate. I needed to fuel up about every 60 or 70 miles when I hit reserve, instead of the normal 150.

Today, I am going to get to the bottom of it. The first suspect is a blocked carb. What else should I check?
    Last edited by Guest; 09-09-2014, 02:18 AM.

Start with the carbs, also check and make sure your timing plate hasn't loosened up and moved
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

I had a coil do that to me on the 1100 due to moisture (heavy rain). It could still be a coil even without the rain. Another avenue would be the ignitor (had that happen too), but it tended to make it run hot. I chased the fuel angle all over, and that wasn't it.

Comment

The fact that it happened all of a sudden made me think of a dirty gas fill-up.
        I would dump the gas[checking for dirt or rust flakes] and also have a look at the petcock especially knowing that you had a clean petcock screen to begin with.
        The idea from hjfisk about the timing plate sounds legit as well.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I'm actually having a similiar problem with my gs450.. If you rev it does it bog or does it sputter? Any gasoline in the air filter?

Comment

if the timing plate is still tight, still check the timing..
            cam chain? dyna unit?

Comment

It sounds like a plug is not firing. Ignition or (second choice), wildly bad carburetion at the cylinder.

All four headers were warm indicating all four were firing
              I can't tell from your comment but it sounded like a roadside indication on a hot bike. My personal experience of "feeling exhaust pipes for running condition" is only useful very near a cold start. The engine transmits heat pretty soon after, so I couldn't tell. Even a hand over the muffler to feel for heat is not a definite help, due to crossover pipe maybe.
              Last edited by Gorminrider; 09-08-2014, 10:12 PM.

Comment

It's not unheard of for a Dyna module to fail. I had one go several years ago. It would run than start cutting out in no particular predictable fashion. A GS1000 will run fine on three cylinders, looses power and sounds odd, but will run. When two cylinders go, it might spit and sputter, but when they cut out altogether the bike is going to stop running. It took about a week for the module to fail altogether.
                '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I just checked the Dyna s ignition. No evidence that any part of it is loose. The felt pen index marks I drew when I set it up are unchanged.

Tomorrow I will pull the tank and continue. I will run the engine with a timing light to verify all four firing.

Thanks Gorminrider-The thought of heat travelling on a hot bike occurred to me. Estimating temperatures of headers on a hot bike is not foolproof, just a quick and dirty observation

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I thought of it at first as bad gas, except it happened in the last 20 per cent of a tank, not immediately after filling it up. It was 10 miles into reserve, so nearly empty at the last fill up, so I would expect bad or watered fuel to cause problems right away, not nearly two hours from fill up. Weather conditions were hot, dry and cloudless, so no rain contamination. I ran four tankfuls from different pumps on the way home-no change batch to batch.

If the Dyna S is bad or has failed, how can I test it in my shop?
                  Last edited by Guest; 09-09-2014, 02:21 AM.

Comment

Verify that the vacuum side of the petcock is OK while you are in there. It sounds to my like thee is crap in the carbs.
                    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Sounds like every other fuel issue to me.... (i.e. an ignition one! )
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

while your at it check the 2 hoses that let your carbs vent to atmosphere if one is blocked then you have found the issue
                        if they don't have outside air pressure then they don't work well at all

Comment

Originally posted by Spyderman View Post
                          while your at it check the 2 hoses that let your carbs vent to atmosphere if one is blocked then you have found the issue
                          +1 on this

Comment

Originally posted by barnbiketom View Post

Originally posted by Spyderman View Post
                            +1 on this

yup learned this one the hard way on a trip through the mountains of British Columbia

Comment

Had time to start the check up. Plugs 1 and 4 are fouled and black, and smell of gas. To me that indicates an ignition problem, either a coil failure, or the Dyna S left side module. Am I missing other possibilities?

My stock 5 year old petcock has been acting up recently, and I had carbs overflowing. That indicated the petcock is faulty and my float valves are not as strong as they should be. The petcock works, but shuts off only in the reserve position. It only drips in the run position, so that is a short term work around. Could I be getting a rich mixture, coincidentally and simultaneously from carbs 1 and 4? It seems possible, but unlikely. I need to do a carb rebuild this winter anyway.

I can temporarily reinstall my original points system if it is the Dyna S ignition which is the fault. I planned to replace the stock coils with new Dyna coils anyway; if that is the fault I just do it earlier than next season. A pain needing to spend shop time in the last month of my riding season. All part of tyhe fun, I guess...
                              Last edited by Guest; 09-11-2014, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X