Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exhaust popping on one side

1982 GS1100GL

I can hear popping on the left side exhaust. I don't think it's happening on the right side. Does anyone know what is causing it or what I should check?

Originally posted by bille View Post
    1982 GS1100GL

I can hear popping on the left side exhaust. I don't think it's happening on the right side. Does anyone know what is causing it or what I should check?
    Most likely and exhaust leak or rather an air leak. You have a hole and or loose connections somewhere where it is pulling in cold air and mixing with the hot exhaust which will make it pop. Is it a constant pop or pops when you lift off the throttle?
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

It pops when I lift off the throttle.

Comment

It pops when I lift off the throttle.
        Air leak then, you have a cracked or holed pipe on that side.
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Actually, I took it for a ride today and it also pops when I give it gas. It doesn't pop when idle, that I have noticed. I will take a look at the pipe.

Comment

I just noticed today, the same side that has the popping is also releasing blue smoke. The other side has no smoke.

Comment

I just noticed today, the same side that has the popping is also releasing blue smoke. The other side has no smoke.
              Okay, sounds like you have other problems now, either a ring or rings going bad and/or some valve seals. Do a compression check for rings, maybe even a leak down check as well.
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Working...
              X