Throttle kills engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle kills engine

Hey everyone, I thought I had an electrically issue, which you can follow the progress of here:

...but it turns out I just need to learn a few things about the starter system and the ignition. Now it appears I have a fuel issue. After tearing apart and cleaning/dipping the carbs, changing the motor/gear oil, replacing the spark plugs and cleaning the tank, I can get the bike to start up for the first time in four years. But! When I apply any throttle, it kills the engine. Is this a fuel/air screw adjustment situation? It idles at around 1500 to 2000 without choke. Going back into the garage tomorrow, hopefully with some good knowledge. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by giganticflying View Post
    Hey everyone, I thought I had an electrically issue, which you can follow the progress of here:

...but it turns out I just need to learn a few things about the starter system and the ignition. Now it appears I have a fuel issue. After tearing apart and cleaning/dipping the carbs, changing the motor/gear oil, replacing the spark plugs and cleaning the tank, I can get the bike to start up for the first time in four years. But! When I apply any throttle, it kills the engine. Is this a fuel/air screw adjustment situation? It idles at around 1500 to 2000 without choke. Going back into the garage tomorrow, hopefully with some good knowledge. Thanks in advance.
    Do you have the air box and all that installed and buttoned up?
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Going to do that tomorrow as well. The airbox is newly sealed and cleaned, I just figured that if the airbox is off and the slightest throttle is still killing it then there is still something wrong.

Comment

1A) (NEW) Trying to diagnose running problems on a bike with an unknown maintenance history. Common maintenance items like clean carbs, properly adjusted valves, no air leaks in the intake system (airbox, carb boots), a clean gas tank (no rust), and a properly functioning petcock are 100% mandatory for the bike to run properly.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Whoops. I'll throw it on tomorrow. The other thing I forgot to note though is that the plugs look black when I pull them after idling for a while, which according to the manual indicates its rich rather than lean. I'll post updates tomorrow. Thanks everyone.

Comment

So I put the airbox back on. It starts up just fine (with choke. I even got it to kick start!), but only stays on for about 6-7 second before it stops again. It's not an abrupt stop, it just gradually dies over the last 3-4 seconds. Some have suggested to clean the carbs but I gave them an incredibly thorough cleaning a few weeks ago. Before I go back in there, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Comment

Also, the boots are nice and squishy with no cracks. I got new o-rings for the engine side. With my lack of knowledge in motorcycles, I can't really tell if this a lean issue or a flooding issue.

Comment

Is your petcock in the on position when trying this? How much gas did you put in? If not much, turn to reserve. Otherwise, once started, put in prime to test fuel delivery. Don't leave it there if you turn it off though.
                Erik

1982 GS550M

Dyna S, Dyna greens, coil relay mod w/LED, Sonic Springs (.90)

Comment

I've been trying to start it in prime and turning it to ON when I'm not working on it. I also have a new fuel line.

I started backing out the air screws on the outside of the carb and it seems to idle a little longer but still does the same thing. I'm at about 3.5 turns out with seems way too far.

Comment

The filters on the factory petcocks can get plugged up over time too. Another thing to check if you don't get good gas flow in the prime position

Comment

The fuel hose I installed is clear and appears to be full all of the entire time. Sometimes there are small air bubbles so I imagine there is some kind of flow. Right before I left I got it to start up and idle without choke until I tried throttling after turning out the the pilot screws on the outside of the carbs.

How many turns should the idle screw be turned against the plate?

Comment

Originally posted by giganticflying View Post
                        Some have suggested to clean the carbs but I gave them an incredibly thorough cleaning a few weeks ago.
                        Please describe your "incredibly thorough cleaning".

Was it anything like this?

If not, I think you know what is next on your agenda.

Every shortcut you take is just one more opportunity to do it right.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It was exactly that, except for the manometer portion, since I don't have one.
                          Last edited by Guest; 09-14-2014, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Okay. Your carbs are fully cleaned, the air box is sealed and you have no air leaks. The mixture screws at 3.5 turns out should have caused a really lean idle mixture. Idling without choke is always good. I'd like to stick with simple questions before you tear your carbs open again. Is this fresh gas or stuff that's been sitting in a gas can for mowing lawns? It doesn't take long for this newer gas to go sour. What is the primary voltage to your coils? Is your spark decent looking? I looked at your other thread. The way I check is to lay all the plugs stuck in the boot on the head. Check in a darker area. Turn the key on and turn the engine by hand.
                            Erik

1982 GS550M

Dyna S, Dyna greens, coil relay mod w/LED, Sonic Springs (.90)

Comment

I haven't heard any mention of pilot fuel screw adjustment, just air, could it be that you missed those when you cleaned the carburetors. If so, they are due for another tear down and 24 hr. soak in carburetor dip with the pilot fuel screws removed. Did you bother to adjust the floats?
                              '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
                              X