Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS550 cranks has spark but wont fire.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 cranks has spark but wont fire.....

I got a 1982 GS550. THE BIKE SAT FOR A WHILE BEFORE I GOT. I CLEANED OUT THE CARBS CLEANED OUT THE GAS TANK FILLED IT WITH FRESH GAS. THE ISSUE I AM HAVING IS THAT THE MOTOR WONT FIRE UP. IT HAS SPARK AND IT WILL FIRE UP WITH STARTER FLUID BUT DIES ALMOST INSTANTLY. IM GETTING FUEL TO THE BOWLS BUT SEEMS LIKE THERES NO FUEL TO THE MOTOR... ANY IDEAS? THANKS AGAIN.

Clean the carbs as recommended here on Basscliff's site - http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff and specifically - http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...d_Tutorial.pdf

Make sure you have the air filter attached and please do away with the starter fluid.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Your "choke" circuits ( actually an enricher) on each carb are likely plugged along with low speed/pilot circuits- these carbs need thorough cleaning or they will drive you to wit's end where you will find lots of company!
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Now this morning i figured give her one more try before pulling the carbs and it is actually turning over and dies right away on its own. At one point i did notice some fire or back fire in the airbox. So now im baffled why now. Also the firing order was wrong. Its right now but im not sure with those flames in the air box....

Comment

Youve been told twice and shown the rebuild tutorials. Nuff said. And on Bikecliffs Website, youll probably fins a link to a factory service manual. Do all the maintenance and the REAL carb rebuild and youll be riding in a week like it was a beast.

Cycleorings.com for the oring kit. Be sure to change the intake boot orings in the flange between the boots and the head. 1 Kit does a full rack of carbs Have a few cans of carbs spray and some source for compressed air to flush and fin ish the cleaning of the passages after the dipping has been done.. Disregard the 6 hr crap on the Berrymans dip can...full 24hrs or nothing. Also you get the Berrymans at Walmart.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
          X