Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Petcock problems with 1979 Suzuki GS750L. What to do??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock problems with 1979 Suzuki GS750L. What to do??

Hi

The motorcycle has a vacuum operated petcock. The petcock appears to have an OFF, ON, and RESERVE setting. With the petcock in the ON or RESERVE position, fuel flows out of it without applying any vacuum. I opened up the vacuum side of the petcock. Inside, there was a thin circular metallic piece that was literally in pieces. The black gasket appeared OK and the spring appeared fine.

For my motorcycle, there does not appear to be a petcock rebuild kit. Also, for my motorcycle, there does not appear to be a new petcock replacement part either. So what are my options??

Am I going to have to consider getting a manually operated Pingle fuel valve and adapter for around $100?? I would rather not if possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

BigCheese

Remove petcock from tank and measure centerline spacing of mounting bolts- if it's 44 mm, you can get new petcock easily for about $60. Look at this typical petcock- are hose outlet directions critical on your bike?

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Get a new OEM Petcock. I got a new one for my 79L from Z1 with rear facing hose outlets. I doubt that, on the 79L, forward facing hose outlets will work as they may interfere with the top of the carbs, or might not allow enough clearance for the hoses. Monkeying around with non factory petcocks just doesnt sound fun to me.

Comment

I checked out the headstock on my bike and it appears i actually have a 1979 suzuki gs750e. The petcock on my bike has a fuel line hose
        barb that faces inward and a vacuum line hose barb that faces forward. Should toms link for suzuki petcock 18-4358 with hose outlets facing back still work with my bike??

By just eye-balling things, it appears it may work. Any thoughts??

Bigcheese

Comment

CORRECTION!!

MY HEADSTOCK MFG TAG INDICATES THAT I HAVE A SUZUKI GS750E MANUFACTURED IN 4/79; HOWEVER, MY MOTORCYCLE DEFINITELY HAS:

a leading axle
          an individual speedo and tach
          a 6" headlight
          a very pronounced difference in seat height
          a tail light mounted on a chrome rear fender

I GUESS I HAVE A 1979 SUZUKI GS750L.

BIGCHEESE

Comment

Hope you don't have a 50mm spacing as us with 1980 models, then you get the dreaded leverless p/c

Comment

If you got the 44mm spacing and it appears repositioning hoses isn't a problem, go for it.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
              X