Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of MPG should i be getting? What are you getting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Revjoel View Post
    Honestly, I'm a little fearful of doing it myself. Living in an apartment, I don't have a garage to work in nor do I know what I'm doing. Any suggested guides for working on them if I do decide to fix it myself?
    Drain the gas completely, package them well and send them to Steve or Chef...you pick based on your location. Steve is in Ohio and Chef(Bill) is in California. Both are known for quality work. Write a check and wait for the magic to happen!

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
      Drain the gas completely, package them well and send them to Steve or Chef...you pick based on your location. Steve is in Ohio and Chef(Bill) is in California. Both are known for quality work. Write a check and wait for the magic to happen!
      Thanks, Jeff.

Revjoel, click HERE to see what I offer.

No checks necessary, I take PayPal.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Thanks, Jeff.

Revjoel, click HERE to see what I offer.

No checks necessary, I take PayPal.

No problem Steve!

I have been on this site for a few years now and have read dozens upon dozens of stories about people who attempted their own carb rebuilds that ran into unforseen troubles (ie stuck mixture screws) and generally bad results from half azzed jobs. Rebuilding a set of carbs takes a nice, clean & neat dedicated area (a old heavy 6 ft folding table works well), several carb chemicals ( carb dip & spray) several tools ( correct fitting JIS screwdrivers, carb cleaning wires, ect) and some patience. I have deduced that many of the failures people run into is by rushing through the job, not having or using the adequate chemicals, having a good work area and lack of proper tools.

We have a tendency to tell all the new members to do their own work but unless you can meet the criteria needed for a carb rebuild (like apartment dwellers with no good place to work or use chemicals) I say just send them off to knowledgeable folks who know GS carbs and how to restore them back to operating condition. No shame in it at all and from what I see from the price charts it's cheaper than you can get locally (at least in my area anyway). Locally for a set of 4 carbs off the bike it runs $60-$75 per carb and as a rule they take your quality Mikuni jets out and put in a cheap K&L carb kits. I have never found or heard of a local place myself that would care enough to do a good job on your carbs anyway. This sentiment seems to be echoed all over the country. Most shops don't like working on or won't work on these old bikes.

Ok, there is my commercial for sending your Suzuki GS carbs to a trusted, friendly GS member

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
          I have been on this site for a few years now and have read dozens upon dozens of stories about people who attempted their own carb rebuilds that ran into unforseen troubles (ie stuck mixture screws) and generally bad results from half azzed jobs. Rebuilding a set of carbs takes a nice, clean & neat dedicated area (a old heavy 6 ft folding table works well), several carb chemicals ( carb dip & spray) several tools ( correct fitting JIS screwdrivers, carb cleaning wires, ect) and some patience. I have deduced that many of the failures people run into is by rushing through the job, not having or using the adequate chemicals, having a good work area and lack of proper tools.

We have a tendency to tell all the new members to do their own work but unless you can meet the criteria needed for a carb rebuild (like apartment dwellers with no good place to work or use chemicals) I say just send them off to knowledgeable folks who know GS carbs and how to restore them back to operating condition. No shame in it at all and from what I see from the price charts it's cheaper than you can get locally (at least in my area anyway). Locally for a set of 4 carbs off the bike it runs $60-$75 per carb and as a rule they take your quality Mikuni jets out and put in a cheap K&L carb kits. I have never found or heard of a local place myself that would care enough to do a good job on your carbs anyway. This sentiment seems to be echoed all over the country. Most shops don't like working on or won't work on these old bikes.

Ok, there is my commercial for sending your Suzuki GS carbs to a trusted, friendly GS member
          Agreed 100% --

I am fortunate to have room and some finances to be able to create my own 'carb work station"-
          I have rebuilt several sets of carbs in this work area for my own bikes over the past few years.
          I have done 3 sets of CX500's - A GL1100 Goldwing - A GS650 and a GS850 and a Magna for a friend
          Here is a picture of my working area - I think the key is to BE and STAY organized -
          What you don't see in the picture is my Ultrasonic cleaner - It makes it easy to get into those small passages hiding in every carb..
          But I don't do them as a service like Steve does...

Currently in the Stable :
          2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
          1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
          - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
            Agreed 100% --

I am fortunate to have room and some finances to be able to create my own 'carb work station"-
            I have rebuilt several sets of carbs in this work area for my own bikes over the past few years.
            I have done 3 sets of CX500's - A GL1100 Goldwing - A GS650 and a GS850 and a Magna for a friend
            Here is a picture of my working area - I think the key is to BE and STAY organized -
            What you don't see in the picture is my Ultrasonic cleaner - It makes it easy to get into those small passages hiding in every carb..
            But I don't do them as a service like Steve does...

Very nice setup!

Comment

Same concept here, just different tools.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
              X