1980GS1100L Leaking Gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980GS1100L Leaking Gas

Newbie here. Glad I found this site!! Did not know there was such a site. AWESOME!! A group of GS lovers....

Ok, I just rebuilt my carbs. Also put new boots on engine and airbox. Started right up. Has not done that in years. Oh, I have owned this bike since new 34 years wow. Anyway, I was letting it warm up so I could do a little carb adjusting.
    Started seeing some smoke and smelling gas. Looked down and gas leaking onto concrete. So my questions are

1. Is there a way I can tell which carb is not working? Float most likely stuck is my guess???

2. I also put on new gas and vent lines which are clear. I can see gas in the vent line. Is that normal???

Love the old bikes!!!

Thanks

Don

Try tapping all the bowls and make sure the fuel T is not leaking. Welcome.
    David
    1998 Suzuki Bandit
    1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
    1978 GS1000 - gone
    1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Pull the plugs to see if they have gas on them. You can put your fingers close the exhaust pipes where they exit the engine when it's running, or squirt them with water to see if one is 'cold'. Mist some spray talc around the areas you think may be leaking, it will show where the moisture is. Sounds like you're close to getting it running great!
      Regards,
      Jason

Comment

Tell us more about this carb rebuild. When you say rebuilt them do you mean you cleaned/dipped and did orings or did you truly rebuild with a kit or use aftermarket parts, particularly the needles and seats?

If so I'd put the old ones back in and as long as you can't feel a groove on the needle with your fingernail they should seal just fine...check to make sure that your floats aren't sticking on a new float bowl gasket as well. May need to trim one up.
        ----------------------------------------------------------------
        2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

#1 No it is not normal for gas to be in the vent tube. #2 as stated check your plugs to find which one is wet or black sooty.

I know it is a pain to remove those carbs, but would not be a bad idea to pull em anyway and check your float heights. .870-.940 without a gasket. Once the carbs are set and synced it will be effortless starting with the touch of the button.

V
          Gustov
          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
          81 GS 1000 G
          79 GS 850 G
          81 GS 850 L
          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
          80 GS 550 L
          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
          2002 Honda 919
          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

....as long as you can't feel a groove on the needle with your fingernail they should seal just fine....

Sorry, but I have to strongly disagree with that.

If you can feel a groove you have a TERRIBLE leak. If you can see it but not feel it you STILL have a terrible leak. It's possible to have a bad leak with you seeing absolutely nothing wrong.

If the needle is leaking check to make sure it's not stuck. If it's stuck find out why. If it's not stuck just replace it, it's a fire waiting to happen.

Comment

So I pulled the carbs off again. Found a float that was stuck. Now fixed. Thanks!!!!!

The problem has changed:

Start with the choke pulled out starts great runs good at this point. Once it warms up it runs ok but seems to be running rich by the smell coming from the exhaust. I also tried to adjust the mixture screw. From my understanding if you close or open these quite a bit they should stall the engine????

Which jets run choke and idle????

Thanks....../

tuck causing the leak. Thanks!!¡!

Now the problem is that it starts on choke and runs great

Comment

You have CV carbs right? Try the idle using this guide: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...n_CV_Carbs.pdf. You are running on the pilot jets at choke/idle. You can do plug chops to see what the air fuel mixture is in each cylinder, do a search if needed, lots of info here.
                Regards,
                Jason

Comment

Working...
                X