Picked up 2 1982 GS1100's. Running issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
    To run with pods you need to install a stage 3 jet kit. Simple as that.
    Ray.
    Or do this to your pods:

image.jpg

(It was a temporary fix, until I got the stage 3 kit.).
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Ha nice Rob.

Well right now I need to get all 4 cylinders firing first and im stumped at the moment.

I pulled the carbs off, all 4 carbs still look clean, jets are clear and they all appear to be in sync with each other. Passage ways are clear, Slides are moving. and all 4 carbs had fuel in there bowls.
      the #1 and #1 cylinder both were getting spark.

What else do I check now?

Comment

Here's a pic of the carbs, They look perfectly synced.

Now I will say this. on the #2 card I think? there is a hose that comes off the carb that I know will hook up to the fuel tank. Assuming that this is back pressure to help fuel being pushed through the carb.

But I am using an auxiliary tank at the moment and my fuel tank is off.
        Could this be the issue?
        Attached Files

Comment

The port on #2 is used as a vacuum port to open the vacuum operated petcock. When using an aux fuel tan, you should plug that port.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
            The port on #2 is used as a vacuum port to open the vacuum operated petcock. When using an aux fuel tan, you should plug that port.
            could that cause those 2 carbs to not fire?

Comment

No. It would cause #2 to run very lean. There's very little in common between cylinders 1 and 2 that would cause both to not fire. My guess is you have two different things going on here. Fix the known problem and plug up that vacuum line. Then see what you have after that.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by irishluck View Post
                could that cause those 2 carbs to not fire?
                Call me at 714--356-784five. I will help you.
                Ray.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Ray, Ill give that a try and report back with my findings!

Comment

I've got 4 cylinders firing!

I found a missing screw out of the choke rail for carb #2(which you can see in the pic I posted). I took a set screw from the 2nd gs1100 and put in on, installed everything back on and got 3 cylinders firing.
                    I then plugged the hose to the petcock that is on carb #2 and the 4th cylinder fired. Now im not sure if me plugging that hose made cylinder 1 fire or if the missing set screw from carb #2 was the cause.

She sounds good!

I think there is some minor adjustments I still need though cause there is a slight backfire going on. Every couple of seconds it pops.
                    Smoked like crazy too at first cause I had to use a little tranny fluid to put around the rubber hoses to slight the carb onto it.

Comment

Time to do a good vacuum sync. and a valve adjustment. Should purr smooth after that.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Ill need to get the sync gauge to do that. The one tool ive been needing to get but haven't yet.
                        And the valve adjustment will be something new, ive never done one before...

Also the exhaust is popping when at idle. Isn't that an indication of running lean? Should I adjust the mixing screw?
                        Last edited by Guest; 01-29-2015, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Get the valves adjusted before you go any further. Tight valves will have a number of different effects. Any carb sync must be done after the valves are adjusted as well. Where are you located? Maybe a forum member will have a gauge set you can use.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Is there a guide on how to do a valve adjustment? Cause I dont see it anywhere in my service manual unless I didnt look in the right place

UPDATE:

I found it in my manual. will update after i check them all out.
                            Last edited by Guest; 01-29-2015, 08:35 PM.

Comment

I'm going to have to say that there most likely in spec.

The book says that the exhaust and intake need to be between 0.03-0.08mm
                              The smallest feeler gauge I have is 0.038mm.

Only one valve let me put the gauge through but barely. All the others wouldn't let me put it through.
                              Unless I really need to go get a feeler gauge rated at 0.03mm, I think these are all within spec, what do you think?

Also, is it okay for me to just use gasket sealer to seal the valve cover back on? My gasket broke when I took the cover off.
                              Last edited by Guest; 01-29-2015, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by irishluck View Post
                                I'm going to have to say that there most likely in spec.

The book says that the exhaust and intake need to be between 0.03-0.08mm
                                The smallest feeler gauge I have is 0.038mm.

Only one valve let me put the gauge through but barely. All the others wouldn't let me put it through.
                                Unless I really need to go get a feeler gauge rated at 0.03mm, I think these are all within spec, what do you think?

Also, is it okay for me to just use gasket sealer to seal the valve cover back on? My gasket broke when I took the cover off.
                                All OUT OF SPEC is more like it. You need thinner shims.

Negative on the gasket sealer too. Get a new OEM Suzuki gasket.
                                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                                X