setting float level on a set of BST36SS carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

setting float level on a set of BST36SS carbs

I am setting the float levels on my BS36SS CV's off a 85 GS 1150E which I rebuilt. I have a Suzuki 1150 manual 99500-39031-03E dated March 1984. It lists the float setting as 21.4mm + or - 1mm. The method shown to set the float level is to remove the float bowl gasket and measuring from the gasket seat inside the lip to the top at the back outside edge of the float near the float pivot pin. Setting the floats to the specified 21.4mm using this method requires bending the float tabs fairly significantly (lower float height) from the straight unbent tab position I found them in when I took them apart. Using the Suzuki manual method the carbs were set at just under 18mm with the tabs unbent the way I found them and I don't think they were ever taken apart before I bought the bike. The manual also shows using a Suzuki float level gauge #09913-14541 for checking actual float level with a specified float level of 3mm + or - .5 mm below the float bowl seam.

Two questions
    1. Is the method for setting the float height with a vernier caliper in the manual correct or a misprint?
    2. Is the method using the Suzuki float check tool more accurate assuming the tool is still available?
    Last edited by Guest; 02-01-2015, 02:35 PM.

Originally posted by jstewart View Post
    I am setting the float levels on my BST36SS CV's off a 85 GS 1150E which I rebuilt. I have a Suzuki 1150 manual 99500-39031-03E dated March 1984. It lists the float setting as 21.4mm + or - 1mm. The method shown to set the float level is to remove the float bowl gasket and measuring from the gasket seat inside the lip to the top at the back outside edge of the float near the float pivot pin. Setting the floats to the specified 21.4mm using this method requires bending the float tabs fairly significantly (lower float height) from the straight unbent tab position I found them in when I took them apart. Using the Suzuki manual method the carbs were set at just under 18mm with the tabs unbent the way I found them and I don't think they were ever taken apart before I bought the bike. The manual also shows using a Suzuki float level gauge #09913-14541 for checking actual float level with a specified float level of 3mm + or - .5 mm below the float bowl seam.

Two questions
    1. Is the method for setting the float height with a vernier caliper in the manual correct or a misprint?
    2. Is the method using the Suzuki float check tool more accurate assuming the tool is still available?

BST36SS is a Gixxer carb. You sure they are not BS36SS

Comment

My mistake they are BS36SS carbs. Could not correct post title but corrected in post content
      Last edited by Guest; 02-01-2015, 02:36 PM.

Comment

I've seen the same discrepancy in the manual on the later year BS34SS carbs on my 1983 GS1100G engine. Curious as well.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
        X