interchangeable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

interchangeable?

I was wondering if my carbs from the in parts gs650 would fit onto the gs750 I have due to the fact that the 650 is beyond repair with a cracked upper crankcase

the 2 engines have different bore spacings and different style carbs.
    anything can be done but this would be far from a bolt on or even close.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
      the 2 engines have different bore spacings and different style carbs.
      anything can be done but this would be far from a bolt on or even close.
      I know it was a silly thing to ask from the start. I am just trying to find use for the parts I currently have cluttering up my garage. It looks like im gonna break out the FSM and do a rebuild on my leaking carbs.

Comment

The 750 used VM carbs while the 650 used BS carbs. Boots not compatible, carbs not jetted compatible. Can you get them to work? Anything can be done with enough time and money. I'd sell the 650 carbs and buy a good set of 750 carbs to rebuild.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
          The 750 used VM carbs while the 650 used BS carbs. Boots not compatible, carbs not jetted compatible. Can you get them to work? Anything can be done with enough time and money. I'd sell the 650 carbs and buy a good set of 750 carbs to rebuild.

Believe it or not the 650 came to me in parts mainly which are currently sitting in a big rubbermade container in my garage and the fact that there are two sets of 750 carbs sitting wrapped up in a towl gives me the funny idea to practice on those

Comment

Originally posted by Kibatheloanwolf View Post
            It looks like im gonna break out the FSM and do a rebuild on my leaking carbs.
            Don't bother with the FSM. Go to BassCliff's site (our library) and get Nessism's carb rebuild guide, instead.

You will also need some Berryman's (or GUNK brand) carb cleaner dip and a set of o-rings, you get them from member Robert Barr by visiting Cycleorings.com. When you get them done and back on the bike, you will need to do a vacuum sync. There might be a member close to you, but you will eventually want your own gauge set, so get the Carbtune and its case. Yeah, it all adds up, but you will be needing the Carbtune every time you adjust your valves, which is every 3-4000 miles, so it will quickly pay for itself.

While you are waiting for your parts to soak in the dip is a good time to check your valve clearances. Plenty of info on that on BassCliff's site, too, and I invite you to take advantage of the offer in my sig.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X