Bike dies with choke on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike dies with choke on

Hey guys, first time owner of '79 GS550E here. Sorry if this is a stupid question. When I start my bike with the choke on, it immediately jumps to about 1500 rpm. Over the course of about 30 seconds it'll slowly lower down to about 900 rpm, then sputter and die. However, if I rev the engine to keep the rpms at 1500, then slowly take off the choke, it'll idle just fine at about 2500 rpm and will be good to go. The bike then rides just fine when I take it out. Why would the bike not be able to idle with the choke on?

Probably because the carburetors haven't been cleaned properly in about 35 years.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The choke is only needed for cold starting. It is actually an enrichener. If the bike is tuned well, you shouldn't need it much after around 30 seconds.

It does sound like maybe the carbs need synced.

Comment

If I try to start to start it with the choke off, or take the choke off without revving the engine to keep the rpms at 1500, it'll die immediately. The guy who had the bike before me was really knowledgeable and said he completely went through the carbs about 1k miles/1 year ago, so I figured the carbs were in good working order, but maybe not. The bike seems to run perfectly fine when on the road, but then again I'm pretty inexperienced and don't have a lot to judge that against.
        Last edited by Guest; 02-11-2015, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BBoh21 View Post
          If I try to start to start it with the choke off, or take the choke off without revving the engine to keep the rpms at 1500, it'll die immediately. The guy who had the bike before me was really knowledgeable and said he completely went through the carbs about 1k miles/1 year ago, so I figured the carbs were in good working order, but maybe not. The bike seems to run perfectly fine when on the road, but then again I'm pretty inexperienced and don't have a lot to judge that against.
          Is this your first bike? The only reason I ask, is the fact that most previous owners lie. They lie to make a sale.

If you didn't see or perform any work, assume it has NOT been done. Did the bike sit for any length of time before or after you bought it? If it did, probably dirty carbs. Look up the manual and do a valve adjustment. If it has been done recently, all you are out is a new gasket.

And look here for all of the information you will ever need. http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Comment

Yes it's my first bike. I'd like to think that the owner didn't lie, as he seemed very genuine, inviting me to some vintage bike meet ups and whatnot. I always seem to see the best in people though and it's certainly possible I was led on a bit. The previous owner said he put about 1.5k miles on it over the past couple years that he's had it, but I'm not sure how often he rode it. I've only had it for a couple days myself. I'm currently reading (albeit slowly) through the manual, so I'm trying to learn all I can!

Comment

Well, welcome to motorcycle ownership. I don't mean to knock anyone that may or may not have lied. Most people just bend the truth to make it sound more appealing. That always makes a quicker sale.

I have the same bike, a year older, and as long as you don't get overwhelmed it is a very simple machine. Don't overthink anything, and if you have any questions, ask here. Everyone here is quick to help. If you decide to do the carbs, MAKE SURE to keep track of everything and take plenty of pictures for your own records. Don't just spray cleaner at them, you will do nothing to help them. The only thing you usually ever need is an O-ring kit from www.cycleorings.com, and maybe fresh gaskets.

We can give you more information about your bike if you get a chance to post a picture of it. You can also list it in your signature for future reference.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks! I have a picture and the bike listed in signature now... I think, guess I'll see when I post this comment. I posted in the welcome section of the forum with a picture of the bike as well.

Comment

Working...
                X