To pod, or not to pod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To pod, or not to pod

Hey Guys, I have a 78 750 and have just acquired a 4-1 yoshimura exhaust with aluminum can after a long search. The previous owner rebuilt the vm26 carbs with new o-rings but the float bowl gaskets are leaking. I currently have new float bowl gaskets and a s.s. allen head bolt set on the way. I have not opened up the carbs yet but am pretty sure someone has re-jet them for the baffle less exhaust that is currently on there now. The carbs do have new intake boots and o-rings.

My question is, is it worth it to install K&N pods and play around frustratingly trying to re-jet or should I just leave the stock air box on and forget about it?

Regardless of what you decide, pretty sure isnt sure. While the carbs are open it would probably be a good idea to see what's in there so you know where you're starting from after changing the exhaust.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Sorry, but "personal opinion" time: it would be even better to install a baffle in the exhaust system, THEN play with the jetting.

If you plan on using pods, K&N or APE pods are good choices. They look about the same, but APE pods are a small fraction of the price of K&Ns.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My new yosh 4-1 has an aluminum can with a baffle, my old stock exhaust was baffle less from the previous owner. Obviously I will check to see what size jets are installed and what clip position the needle jet is in. The bike runs fine with the baffle less exhaust and it has taken me at least 6 months to find a period correct pipe yoshimura pipe that wasn't rotten or full of dents.

The exhaust from the stock baffle less pipes smelt very very rich and the plug chops confirm this, that is why I am pretty sure someone has already played with the jetting.
        I am just just curious how much a PITA it will be to run K&N or APE pods and play with the jetting, or should I just leave the stock air box on?

Comment

Originally posted by one_civic View Post
          I am just just curious how much a PITA it will be to run K&N or APE pods and play with the jetting, or should I just leave the stock air box on?
          It has been done MANY times, so there is a bit of experience by forum member on what needs to be done. If you jet for the pipe, then decide to go with pods, too, you will have to start your jetting "fun" all over again, but that is basically the price of admission.

Those who have pods usually have them for the "looks", but some actually have them for the performance increase that is available. Many of them will also admit that the bike is a bit more tempermental, in that it is more susceptible to differences in cross-winds, rain and other environmental factors. Running pods also increases the noise for the rider. Some like it, but they are also the ones that are more likely to have the bike as a weekend play toy. Those of us who use the bike for daily commuting or vacation travel, where we might put on several hundred miles in a day, get tired of all the extra noise, and stick to the stock airbox.

It's your bike, your choice.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Many of them will also admit that the bike is a bit more tempermental, in that it is more susceptible to differences in cross-winds, rain and other environmental factors.
            Not my Suzi. But then, I had her professionally jetted on a dyno.

Another reason to go with pods is to have better access to the battery. It's a big factor on my particular model.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I agree with Rob, Pods are awesome for getting your rack in and out quickly. I switched to Pods on my GS750 and am switching to Pods on my GR650. Half the reason is to alleviate the headache of removing the air box to get the rack out for tuning reasons, the other reason is these bikes actually do respond well to pods. I ran pods on my B-12 too and saw huge increases. However each bike is different. MY FZ1 is the exact opposite, Pods will ruin it's mid range and does nothing for the top end for the box does a GREAT job.... so the stock box and exhaust stays on.

You will notice an increase in noise as Steve stated. If your looking to just putter around and be a leisure rider pods can be annoying. If you love the sound of a Suzuki ripping the air apart and gulping it... Well Pods are for you!
              Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125
              2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
              Originally posted by Hayabuser
              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, I was just curious as my old 80 cb750f was temperamental with pods but that was running with the stock CV carbs. I switched back to the stock air box and it ran much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                  Another reason to go with pods is to have better access to the battery. It's a big factor on my particular model.
                  Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                  I agree with Rob, Pods are awesome for getting your rack in and out quickly. ... Half the reason is to alleviate the headache of removing the air box to get the rack out for tuning reasons, ...
                  I will agree with both of those statements, but will have to add a big "but, ..."

For some reason, the 750 and 1100 chain-drive bikes from '80 on (and maybe some others), had their batteries buried below the air filter box. However, if you use a sealed AGM battery, there is a VERY infrequent need to access the battery.

And, regarding the frequent need to "remove the rack for tuning", if you don't switch to pods, you don't need to do that frequent tuning, so it's a moot point.

Not sure how much my shafties would "wake up" with pods and tuning, but let's face it, they're shafties. I am not going around, trying to extract every last ounce of power, so the extra 4 or 5 ponies that might be awakened really don't matter all that much. My one son's bike has pods and a pipe, but only because we got it that way. My bike has a header on it, but it came on my other son's bike. I liked the look and sound of the pipe, so I swapped exhaust before we sold his bike. I also swapped main jets in the carbs for a good starting point. In the event that any finer tuning is necessary, I can have the carbs on the bench about 5 minutes after the bike is lifted onto the centerstand.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                  X