Choke spring and fuel T questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choke spring and fuel T questions

Afternoon, its been a little while since I poked my head in, well its starting to get warmer around here (kinda) so I decided its time to breakdown/clean my carbs, well the first time I did a quick clean (yep first mistake was a "quick" clean) I lost the spring that goes on the choke rod. I haven't been able to find the part anywhere, none of the Parts diagrams have it listed anywhere unless I am that blind.

I also need a new fuel T mine is pretty well warn on the ends and I believe it is part #13685-49200 as far as I can tell.

Thanks for any help you can give, I have searched and come up with nothing if its out there and I just suck as searching please point me in the right direction.

Bike is a 1981 GS1000GL

If the fiche that I'm looking at is correct your vehicle has Mikuni BS carbs as my 82 GK and 82 GL do. The last time I replaced the fuel "T"s on the carbs I have I'd just added the part to an order from Suzuki along with some other stuff. I have seen pictures of XS650 guys taking "T"'s and putting short pieces of fuel line on them and clamping them back but as cheap as the part is it's worth the peace of mind to order the correct part and not have to go back in. Any Suzuki dealer should be able to get it easily as they're currently available. Contact http://www.cycleorings.com/ and order a kit or two of O-rings for the Mikuni BS. They're worth having around and if you're going to split the rack anyway it's worth doing them now. On my carburetors the springs on the enrichener plungers do the operation of closing the "choke", while the spring on the rod simply holds the cable holder in place. If that's the case on yours I'd imagine a spring could be found out of maybe a pen or something from the local hardware store. I pulled my carbs for more jetting last night and the spring didn't really seem very substantial so I'd imagine it wouldn't have to be super stiff. Though the parts fiche for yours does seem different than mine so I may have just said all of that spring stuff for naught. If the enrichener plungers are having trouble sliding in their bores remove them and polish them when you separate the carbs, just remember to put them back before reassembly lol! Wait a second... That's a manual lever... Sweet! Ignore my spring stuff but the other stuff is cool.

Comment

Thanks for the reply! I will have to order a new fuel mixture screw due to it being stripped out by the previous owner. So I'll just pick up the fuel T then.

Comment

I am not remembering a spring on the "choke" rod on any '81 carbs.

I was thinking that maybe your bike was made in late '81 and was actually an '82,
        but Suzuki switched to an 1100 for the '82 model year.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Is your choke lever on the handlebar or in the center of the triple tree? If it's on the handle then you have the 82+ version of the choke and some previous owner may have changed out the carbs since I'm not aware of any GS1000's that came with it that way. If not then you have the older style linkage and there is no additional choke return spring except for the ones on the plungers. Maybe you can post a picture of where the spring is supposed to be. If it's a plunger spring then I have a few.
          Last edited by JTGS850GL; 02-27-2015, 11:15 AM.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

My choke is on the triple T.

I had my sd card crash and lost all my photos of the assembled carbs so I was going of the tutorial pictures on bikecliffs website and it showed the spring on the choke rod so I assumed that I had one.

Comment

Yes, the tutorial shows the 82+ choke linkage that does have a spring. You should be OK.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Ok good to know! Thanks for the information.

Comment

Working...
                X