Leaky new petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaky new petcock

I purchased a new petcock over the winter that I replace with a new seal, but after riding for a few I can see there is a very slow leak that's dripping on my left filter. The petcock is a stock OEM part. Thanks

Did you use sealing washers when mounting the petcock?

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

The washer that was used is the long oval washer that seals around the main section of the petcock. Are their additional seals needed?

Comment

Yes, there are 2 more washers that are used for the 2 bolts that hold the petcock to the tank

Comment

These must have been missing from the set I received. Would you know a place to sell only these seals? Are they basic 0-ring shape seals?

So there are 2 more seals that go around the holes for the bolts on the underside of the petcock?
          Last edited by Guest; 02-27-2015, 03:57 PM.

Comment

reuse the ones you already have, might be stuck to the old petcock

this picture is just for the sake of you seeing the washers we are talking about

Comment

ok, that makes sense. The old petcock is long gone. These are rubber seals correct, not metal washers?

Comment

well more like this

you can see them on that page

Comment

Cool, I see now. Thanks man. I'll replace these first and see what happens. I thought the leak was around the area you use to turn the bas on with a screwdriver, but it could've been leaking down from the screws.

Comment

Have a read here on where to source them.....as well

Comment

Originally posted by claygs750e View Post
                      ok, that makes sense. The old petcock is long gone. These are rubber seals correct, not metal washers?
                      I''ve had rubber washers, Dowty washers, fibre washers, metal washer with Hylomar - they all work.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                      X