X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few "Leaking Air Box" questions & others

RE: 1981 GS850G

I may have missed the answers somewhere but;

1. Aside from other probs, would an air leak (Anywhere between the air filter top section & the cylinder head manifold) show itself as a lean or rich condition? I would suspect LEAN but trust you all more than I trust what I might think.

2. The rubber boots between the back of carbs & going inside the airbag are marked either "L" or "R". Is the actual orientation of these important? Mine had these letters facing the outside (i.e. towards the chrome side cover.

3. I had replaced those a number of years back & at least the parts that attach to the carbs are supple still. The #1 carb boot, however, rotates rather easily in the airbox. It seems the seal there is NOT as secure as it should be.

It appears that I had used some sort of sealant on these where they attach to the airbox to get a good airtight fit. I could use a
    hi-temp silicone sealer from auto parts store but any good recommends on this.

Thank you for your value and continuing assistance. It has forced me to kick in some bucks to this site, cheap as I am.

DH

1. You are correct. too much air means lean.

2. A quick link here http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ will lead you here https://picasaweb.google.com/roostab...50AirboxFixup# which will show the correct orientation.

3. If #1 rotates and the others don't then count yourself lucky and just replace the one. If it rotates it means it has shrunk slightly and that means slightly less air flow than the others. Sealing it up won't make it any bigger.

Make sure the rubbers on the head side are good too. If they are hard and brittle they may not seal up tight and cause problems.
    I went through all this on my 850 and had no choice but to replace all rubbers and seal up the airbox and it runs sweet.

Good Luck.
    The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Originally posted by Cyrano View Post
      1. You are correct. too much air means lean.

2. A quick link here http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ will lead you here https://picasaweb.google.com/roostab...50AirboxFixup# which will show the correct orientation.

3. If #1 rotates and the others don't then count yourself lucky and just replace the one. If it rotates it means it has shrunk slightly and that means slightly less air flow than the others. Sealing it up won't make it any bigger.

Make sure the rubbers on the head side are good too. If they are hard and brittle they may not seal up tight and cause problems.
      I went through all this on my 850 and had no choice but to replace all rubbers and seal up the airbox and it runs sweet.

Good Luck.
      Thanks, Cyrano, so since you're here, another question for you and any others. While cleaning airbox I found the passage that connects the vent tube off top of cam area to the airbag about 95% clogged with a nasty rusty/oily/dryed out crap confluxification. I spent nearly an hour cleaning this out. I would equate the clogification to having that vent hose nearly completely pinched off.

Pic of the passage (airbag is upside down so top of box on bottom here.;

It is now completely clear but what effect might this have on the engine running & carburation?

Thanks, still working on things so won't be riding for another week or so.

DH

Comment

Cyrano, you stated:

"2. A quick link here
        http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ will lead you here https://picasaweb.google.com/roostab...50AirboxFixup# which will show the correct orientation. "

I had looked at these pix already, they don't show how I should rotate the boots (the only mark I remember are the "R" and "L" casting on the inner part of the boots. Is there a need to have them rotated to a particular orientation? When I opened the box, I believe those letters were all facing straight out to either side, facing the chromed side covers.

Thanks,
        DH

Comment

Not sure whether the letters should be UP or DOWN, but to the sides is definitely wrong.

On some boots, there is a nub on the flange that meets the airbox. Look on the face of the airbox for two matching nubs, about 1/8" apart. They will be at the top or at the bottom of the hole. Align the single nub on the boot between the two nubs on the airbox.

If you don't see any nubs, look carefully at the boots, you will find that they have a bit of an angle to them. Rotate the boots in the airbox holes until you can see that all of the carb ends of the boots line up. I think you will then find that the letters are either UP or DOWN, but not to the sides.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Not sure whether the letters should be UP or DOWN, but to the sides is definitely wrong.

On some boots, there is a nub on the flange that meets the airbox. Look on the face of the airbox for two matching nubs, about 1/8" apart. They will be at the top or at the bottom of the hole. Align the single nub on the boot between the two nubs on the airbox.

If you don't see any nubs, look carefully at the boots, you will find that they have a bit of an angle to them. Rotate the boots in the airbox holes until you can see that all of the carb ends of the boots line up. I think you will then find that the letters are either UP or DOWN, but not to the sides.

Thanks Cyrano, that is pretty much it. Was just out in shed cleaning the air boots & saw the little nubs on them, had seen similar nubs on the airbox & now remember what my boss told me 5 or 6 years back,...."match up the nubs". That would put the nubs AND the L & R letters straight down. At least in my bike's way of doing things. Going to mark that note down in parts & work manuals.

Thanks,
            DH

Comment

And as usual I didn't look at the pic close enough to see, read & understand the text below the image. Sorry to waste your time. I REALLY hate getting old. Combined with the ADD, my aging brain really is getting useless.

Thanks for bearing with me.

DH

Comment

Working...
              X