No announcement yet.

Stalling at Idle does not restart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you run a cold plug all that means is the ceramic tip doesn't retain a lot of heat to burn off residue as where a hotter plug well retain more heat to burn more of it off. Colder spark plugs are not that good for general street riding as stated by NGK they could foul much easier. They are more useful for high rpm track racing etc.
    Last edited by mrbill5491; 04-07-2015, 04:16 PM.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Are your ignition coils stock suzuki? (Since PO changed over to points). Have you ohm them - probably like 4 ohms primary?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I believe the coils are stock suzuki.

I just checked and they are 4ohm coils.

Could that be the issue?

Comment

No, that's fine but recheck the connections from coils to points/condensers. Your spark should not get weak after some running.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

how about float level? Just wondering if that could be a problem?

Comment

I checked and the connections are good.

I also checked the resistance through the coils after it stalled. I got 5.5ohms from 1-4coil. 7.5ohms from 2-3coil.

are these numbers still good?

I hard wired the coils to points. crimp and solder.

Comment

Those hot resistance readings on coil primary make make no sense to me. It's just a bunch of copper windings , the resistance should not change that much (especially the coil going from from 4 to 7.5 ohms). But I've never checked them hot.
                1981 gs650L

Comment

As I watch the snowfall, I tested one of my spare 4 ohm suzuki coils. I fed 12.5 volts across primary and let it sit for 15 minutes- the hot resistance went up to 6 ohms. So , I guess yours are normal.
                  1981 gs650L

Comment

Have you checked the resistance in your plug wire caps,to see if they are all in spec?
                    I don't have the specs right off hand,but if it was originally electronic ignition,it will have resistance caps on the wires,I have seen them go bad.

Comment

I have installed new caps.

It still sparks even after it stalls through.

I wonder if it could still be carbs?

Comment

might be a silly question but has the gas cap vent been checked and cleaned

Comment

I have run it with the gas cap off as well. no luck.

I'm going to be getting a parts bike given to me so maybe ill be able to swap some parts.

I'm running out of ideas, unless I'm flooding the engine out which if it was doing that, what would cause it?

Im only saying that maybe it is flooding because the plugs are black after it runs for a while. and when I was syncing the carbs i noticed fuel in the lines of a couple carbs.

what could cause it to flood at idle?

Comment

If you have fuel in the vacuum sync lines the you do have a fuel problem. Most likely cause is leaking float valves. Probable issues would be either a stuck float or a leaking float valve. Check float height and make sure the float bowl gasket is not causing the float to hang up. If that's not an issue then replace the float valve assembly. I'd try to pick up or make a fluid float level have. Basically a screw that goes into the float bowl drain hole that allows a clear tube to be connected. Loop the clear tubing up above the carbs and see where the fluid level is in the bowl. If you see the fluid level continue to rise above the setting then you have a leaking float valve.

I can see where several leaking valves can cause the engine to cut out during idle if the floats are leaking bad enough. On a plus side it seems like your petcock is in working order. Otherwise you'd be seeing gas on the floor or in your oil.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Yes, must be real leaky needle seats (or the "choke "system is on or leaky) to get black plugs after some idling causing stall out.Remove tank and try some clear vinyl tubing to feed the fuel T and see how fast level drops as it idles.But it seems a stretch to think all 4 seats have failed.
                              1981 gs650L

Comment

Wouldn't take all 4 to be leaking to stall the engine.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                                1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                                1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                                X