Frustrated. Carbtune help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frustrated. Carbtune help

So I finally got time to tune my carbs today, went to thread the adapters and I stripped one out...tried to be careful but my short fat hands just couldn't get it to go in there. I am going to be ordering the brass from Z1 and I just wanted to double check that they are 5mm adapters correct?

5mm is correct. The plastic ones that come with the carbtune are pure junk. The brass ones will work out great.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
      5mm is correct.
      Beat me to it.
      The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
        5mm is correct. The plastic ones that come with the carbtune are pure junk. The brass ones will work out great.

Yeah surprised they were that soft. Oh well new ones are ordered thanks for the verification

Comment

If you put a length of stiff tubing on the plastic ones they go in and out easily every time.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thanks, I saw that tip elsewhere AFTER I mangled it.

Comment

Attempted to sync tonight

Well I attempted to sync the carbs tonight, my first try I royally fudged them up, got the #1 and #2 vacuum lines backwards ended up with #3 maxed out on the carbtune so I pulled them and did another bench sync, I can get close #3 sitting about 20cmhg and #2 around 18cmhg get #1 just above that and when I got to adjust #4 the bike starts to stall, dropping from just under 2000RPM to under 1000RPM. Tried again and got it to stay up near 2000RPM and got #4 just above #3 but then #1 dropped and as I brought it back the RPM started climbing.

Thats about what I can recall it was a PITA to keep the RPM steady, is this because the bike wasn't warm enough? I let her get warm but its only about 35F in the garage right now so I don't know if it was staying warm enough.

Any input is welcome, I am done for tonight. Frustrated, cold and sick of the exhaust smell.

I have re-read the procedures on here and Bikecliffs site, I don't think I missed anything.

Comment

If it was warm enough for the bike to be running off-"choke", it should have been fine.

Did you remember to plug the vacuum port on #2?

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  If it was warm enough for the bike to be running off-"choke", it should have been fine.

Did you remember to plug the vacuum port on #2?

That's what I thought about the warmth, one of the only things I could think of.

I did have the vacuum tube closed off as well.

Comment

Got her sync fairly well, will check in a couple hundred miles and see how it.is.

Took her out and ran nice and smooth better than it has in a while.

Thanks again for the help Steve!

Comment

Working...
                    X