1985 gs700es wont accelerate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 gs700es wont accelerate

Hey I'm new to the forum I just picked up a 1985 gs700es and it starts up and runs great ideas perfect but when I get on the road to ride it bogs down around 30mph if u shift it gets a little better but I have to shift thru all the gears just to get up to 50mph the bike is all stock only 7000 miles on it I've cleaned carbs checked all vac lines I just can figure out what's up with it. Does anyone have any suggestions I could really use um

How did you clean the carbs? Dip them for 24 hours or run them a few hours in a sonic cleaner? If neither that's your first priority. Did you replace the o-rings? If not Robert at www.cycleorings.com can set you up with what you need. Make sure you uncap the air mixture screws and reset them to factory specs. Did you replace the air filter and make certain the airbox was sealed? Are the boots from the carbs to the airbox soft and pliable enough to actually fit over the carb inlets? What about the plugs and wires? How do they look? Did you check and adjust if necessary the valves? There are a half dozen or so little thing you need to do with an old Suzuki before you put it on the road, even if the previous owner says they did it (rule 1 all previous owners are liars lol). Do it right the first time around and she'll treat you right for years to come.

Invaluable resource for info

Comment

I soaked the carbs over night they really weren't dirty at all the previous owner claimed that he went over the whole bike but like you said you can aways take someone's word but the air box's is all sealed up the boots look brand new I pulled all them off checked got cracks rips an stuff.
      I checked all the plugs an wires it has really good spark the plugs are dry like a light grayish coloring there brand new ngks
      The bike fires right up an sits there an ours it'll rev up great to just when I put it in gear it won't go passed 3000rpms like it has a rev limited
      I'll start by pulling the carbs off an soaking them again tho all the prints an stuff looked great on them

Comment

The plugs are reading lean which suggests an air leak somewhere. Check the diaphragms for pinholes as well since you'll have them apart. Not likely but you can at least rule it out. My guess is the o-rings have flattened after the numerous years and need to be replaced with new ones. Since the carb boots look good and the airbox is sealed it kinda leaves just the o-rings or the mixture screws. Make sure to inspect the boots from the carbs to the head as well for rips etc. When you reassemble the rack make sure you do a good bench sync on them to get them in the ballpark then do a running sync on them. Don't despair. The only vacuum line you have to worry about is from #2 carb to the petcock. The two big hoses that come from between 1&2 and 3&4 are overflow drain hoses. I don't think you have them but if your carb to head boots screw down instead of just clamping on there is an o-ring under them as well to take into consideration (again I don't think this applies to you but I'm not familiar with your exact model and can't find a decent pic of carbs to see)
        Last edited by Guest; 04-04-2015, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Do the O ring kit http://www.cycleorings.com/ ShadowFocus603 linked you.Air and spray carb cleaner are your friends to once the dipping's done,Order the boot O rings from Mr Barr to while you are doing things.If you haven't done a valve adjustment it would be the time to do it.Remember you have to take the carb's COMPLETELY apart,here's a link to the CV tutorial http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/gs/Mikuni_BS-CV_Carburetor_Rebuild_Tutorial.pdf .Use SF's link for more goodies there including OEM manuals.
          Last edited by Guest; 04-04-2015, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks a lot for such fast response its very helpful i got a good list of things to check and a good place to start.. I'll let you no how it all turns out

Comment

Good advice given....When I bought my bike in 99 I soaked the carbs, but didnt do a full disassembly or o ring replacement- I didnt know any better then. It ran decent, but not great. This winter I just did the full job along with replacing the bad intake boots. Inital impressions are that it runs MUCH better- smoother at highway speed, and the low speed in town jerkiness seems to be gone as well.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Update on the gs700 so I pulled the air box again an notices it wasn't as sealed as I thought It actually has a pretty nice size whole in it so I put some duck tape on it just to see if that was the issue an sure enough that was it I had to put a new gas line an vac lines on as well they were dry rotten an she's seems to b running great now I'm still going over everything before I really start riding it but I'm going to need a new air box? will any other gs model air box fit the 700 or do I have to find a 700 on I just don't no how enter changeable these bikes are with like the gs750 or something?

Comment

This isn't the popular opinion here but I like pod style filters. Just make sure to go with the Dynojet kit appropriate for you which I will link for you.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

That is the jet kit.
                  Todays superbikes require free breathing. These special high performance filtering elements with chrome end caps not only work great, but look good too. Dont strangle your bike with poor air filtrationinsist on the best... "Super Pro." Sold in sets of 4. For Mikuni RS Flatslide 34mm, 36mm, 38mm, 40mm and OEM Stock Carbs.

Those are the air filters. I own those personally and you can see a side by side comparison if you click the Dahlia build in my sig to K&N brand pod filters. Overall quality is identical to K&N. They come not oiled so you will need to mist them with air filter oil when you install them. I like them but I am planning on trying a set of these next just for gits and shiggles.

For the price even if they are just useable I won't be out much. I tend to try new and untested things so take this with a grain of salt. A benefit of running the pod filters is that carb removal for maintenance becomes a snap. Just make sure to get the jet kit and install it according to the directions and you won't be reading the Pods Pipes Panic thread.

Comment

Originally posted by louuiez View Post
                    Update on the gs700 so I pulled the air box again an notices it wasn't as sealed as I thought It actually has a pretty nice size whole in it so I put some duck tape on it just to see if that was the issue an sure enough that was it I had to put a new gas line an vac lines on as well they were dry rotten an she's seems to b running great now I'm still going over everything before I really start riding it but I'm going to need a new air box? will any other gs model air box fit the 700 or do I have to find a 700 on I just don't no how enter changeable these bikes are with like the gs750 or something?
                    '83 750 e or es (not t or s) airbox is the same. but they are really hard to change with the engine in the frame.
                    Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

I've been doing research on the pods there's a lot of mixed reviews on them but I had them on my cb750 with the dyno kit they made tuning that's thing hard but it's a honda so that's not saying much I have a set of new k&n pods that will fit I'd just have to get the jet kit it sounds like It would b the easy way to go till I have to pull the engine to put the stock one back on I'm trying to keep the bike as stock as possible but it sounds like the pods will b a quick fix for now cuz the previous owner cut my air box in half to get it out im guessing an tried to glue it back together or something it's good to no there are other models that fit because I haven't found the stock 700 one anywhere yet thanks for the help guys

Comment

Wow. PUNCTUATION... makes posts readable.

I usually recommend keeping the stock airbox, but in your case, pods and a dynojet kit is probably the easiest solution.

Comment

Just in case someone suggests asking me for an air box tell them I don't have anymore

Comment

Working...
                          X