Intake/Manifold boot install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake/Manifold boot install

I purchased new intake boots for my 78 GS750 and can't wait to get them on. But what is the proper procedure? I have new boots, orings, and clamps. Does there need to be some type of grease or gasket maker for the orings?

Thank you

Just a little dab of grease in the grooves will hold the o-rings in place while you mount the boots.

Did you get some new hardware, too? The stock screws seem to be made of aged cheddar cheese, you will want to replace them.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

A little dab of grease is what I originally thought the trick would be. Thank you very much, Steve. However, would using a gasket maker or some type of sealer hurt when used around the bracket? In theory it seems like it would prevent leaks in the long run?

Comment

Generally they're pretty good for about 20 years without any gasket sealer. The sealant can harden and cause issues later. I suggest you leave it out.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions Mike. Steve, I have new hardware coming soon and then I'll be set.

Comment

May I ask where you got them and the price you paid? I have been meaning to get some for my 850
            -Mark
            Boston, MA
            Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
            sigpic
            1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Your bike is going to be a unique situation, Mark.

How are your '79 carbs mounted to the '80 head?

New boots are still available from any of the online vendors, in your case, it would be a matter of "which boots".

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Dont mean to hijack..... My boots may be the 1980 cv's... its hard to tell the rubbers may be to far distorted to measure. I plan on buying 79 boots to fit the vm's that are currently on the bike, and I have new OEM clamps as well. I was under the impression the bolt pattern was the same, 79-80....
                -Mark
                Boston, MA
                Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                sigpic
                1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

The bolt pattern might be the same, but the ports on the '80 engine are MUCH larger. The '79 boots will be smaller, leaving a considerable "step" at the transition. Fortunately, you are going from smaller boots to larger ports, but there might still be a bit of turbulence at times. Not sure if it would be worth the effort to try to relieve the transition.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                  X