Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unsure of what to do next to fix problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you mean fuel "cap" Cyrano? my oil definetly smells like gas, but I just recently replaced all o-rings in carbs

Comment

Cyrano means the petcock
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

LOST IN TRANSLATION...

When I say fuel tap, I'm referring to the petcock. The 'cap' I mention is where you fill the engine with oil. If the oil cap smells of petrol and your oil level is higher than normal, you have petrol/gas in your engine. If this is the case, it needs to be drained and filled with fresh oil.

As you mention the o rings have been replaced then I suspect that a bit of dirt (and it only needs to be tiny bit) is stopping the needle from closing.
        Or the fluid held within the float is weighing it down meaning it won't float at the correct height and it will not close the needle fully. If the float is compromised in any way, I wouldn't bother swapping it around, just replace it.
        The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Well my new float finally came in, installed it and leaks gone! Bad news is it seems like the bikes got about half the power it did before......

Comment

Adjust the fuel levels with a gauge to see how full the bowls are. The lower they are..as regulated by the float ht settings..the harder they have to work to get sufficient fuel to the cylinders. So, as you experienced with them as full as the overflow tubes..they nran like a raped ape because they were filled very high. So adjust accordingly.

How to make a gauge.,. Take a drain plug and drill a small hole down the center. Now get some aquarium tubing and grind the outer edges of the drain plug down till it will fit into the tubing snuggly. Screw the adapter into the bowls and hold up alongside the carbs to visually see the fuel levels in each bowl.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

One must remember this...just because the manual states a certain range doesnt mean it gonna be perfect. Thats why the have the check fuel levels part in the service manuals.
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Well the other day went to drain oil and it had a ton of gas in it. New oil, new float adjusted and bike seems to be running and idling better than it ever has (fingers crossed) . It's been so long since I rode and it's such a beautiful day here in Washington think I'm gonna take it out even though it looks pretty funny with gas tank paint stripped and bondo everywhere on it haha! Thanks guys for all the help!

Comment

So, there was new gas in your oil after changing the float? Or had you not changed the oil before?
                  '83 GS650G
                  '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I'm curious. Could some one trace out for me how fuel from an over full float bowl makes its way to the crankcase?
                    Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
                    1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
                    1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

The EPA in their infinite wisdom mandated that all of the overflow tubes went away in 1980. Now if it overflows, the fuel just can't fall harmlessly on the ground below the engine anymore, so it fills up the carburetor float bowl, when that's full it rises into the main bore and runs down hill into the intake port. If the intake valve is open it flows in and drips onto the piston, oozes past the rings and into the oil.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                        So, there was new gas in your oil after changing the float? Or had you not changed the oil before?
                        The gas was still in there from before I fixed the float

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          The EPA in their infinite wisdom mandated that all of the overflow tubes went away in 1980. Now if it overflows, the fuel just can't fall harmlessly on the ground below the engine anymore, so it fills up the carburetor float bowl, when that's full it rises into the main bore and runs down hill into the intake port. If the intake valve is open it flows in and drips onto the piston, oozes past the rings and into the oil.
                          Thank you for that description.
                          Heck, a guy might not even know it happened.
                          Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
                          1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
                          1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

Nope...thats why I set the bikes on the center stands when I park them. First thing I do is look at the sight glass as I walk up to one of my bikes. And I do it instinctively everytime i even go in a store or something..never know WHEN the petcocks gonna let go.

Comment

Working...
                            X