Any reason for mismatched pilot jets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any reason for mismatched pilot jets?

I bought this sweet 85 GS700ES earlier this month and have been working on the carbs. I bought a DynoJet kit because it had pods which I now understand are so much easier to work with than the stock airbox. I can get the carbs out in about two minutes.

Anyhow, starting the dipping process today and I noticed that the two outside pilot jets are 75's and the inner two are 27.5's. The manual calls for 37.5's stock. The bike has only 4400 miles on it and while I have learned never to assume anything about a PO, it appeared stock (aside from the pods) including all the other jets until I saw these.

Is it just weird or maybe Canadian, eh?
    sigpic
    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

We are a little weirder than some up here north of 49, but I don't think that has anything to with this story.

The 550s with the siamese carbs use different main jets inboard and outboard, but the same pilots. I see no real reason to do that on the 700es. Those are HUGE, I mean HUGE differences in size, so a PO must have been having some troubles with the a/f ratio after putting on pods.

How does the bike run, otherwise?

'83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
      Those are HUGE, I mean [SIZE=5]HUGE [SIZE=2]differences in size, so a PO must have been having some troubles with the a/f ratio after putting on pods.
      More likely HUGE cluelessness was involved.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

be fair they sort of average out tos oemthing.

Comment

Just messin! Actually you can't get any weirder than California. This is actually a CA bike and has to have additional venting connected to a canister system and back to the fuel tank. This one is not hooked up anymore.

Anyway I talked to a tech guy at DynoJet and he said the PO must have been trying to compensate for the pods somehow. Good intentions. Poor execution. I have to go back to stock 37.5's and use their stage 3 kit which I have installed now. Just waiting for the jets to arrive.

The carbs are so easy to get in and out I tried a test ride (with the jet kit) before completely tearing them down and it roared above 3000rpm but really rough transition from idle to 3000. When I first opened the bowls and saw the stock mains it didn't occur to me that anyone would change only the pilot jets.
          Last edited by glib; 06-26-2015, 10:21 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by glib View Post
            ... because it had pods which I now understand are so much easier to work with than the stock airbox. I can get the carbs out in about two minutes.
            May I venture a guess why you are having to remove and install the carbs so many times?

I'll bet it's to get the jetting right because of the pods.

With a stock airbox, you will fight it ONE TIME, if you clean the carbs correctly, then you can ignore it for the next ten years or so.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              May I venture a guess why you are having to remove and install the carbs so many times?

I'll bet it's to get the jetting right because of the pods.

With a stock airbox, you will fight it ONE TIME, if you clean the carbs correctly, then you can ignore it for the next ten years or so.

I'm sure you are right and that was my first plan but moving the motor to install it doesn't sound like much fun. Being impatient as I am (with delivery time), I put in the pilot jets that came with the purchase of my GS1100ES in so that I might be able to ride the bike while waiting for the stock ones to arrive. They are #45s and a little different style (metering hole at the opposite end of the jet) but fit properly and it actually runs very well now.

Even with the stock exhaust, this bike seems so much louder than my 1100's.
              Last edited by glib; 06-26-2015, 11:58 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X