79 GS1000L Petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS1000L Petcock

For some reason my 79 GS1000L has the lever less 1980 style petcock. The gasket in between it and the tank is leaking after taking it off . But I'm wondering, does the 79 petcock with lever bolt up the same? Do I have a 1980 tank on my bike?? Or should I just be done with it and get a pingel on/off valve?
    Last edited by Guest; 06-26-2015, 09:47 PM.

The 1979 tap has different hole centres to the 1980 tap (if the 1000L follows the same design theory as the 1000S). You most likely have an '80 tank. Been there, done that...
    I'm sure some L owners will be able to confirm or otherwise.
    2016 BMW F700GS - everyday ride
    1979 GS1000SN - resto project, recently gone
    1987 Honda GB400TT - latest resto project

Comment

Well I found it to be interesting being a 80 tank on a 79. The color matches perfectly to the side covers. I thought I had an all original bike. This is a pic of an original 79, and my bike matches to a T
      Attached Files

Comment

Did you check tank to make sure someone didn't modify mounting bolt centerline to suit the leverless 50mm spacing?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Tom, it doesn't appear to be modified. I'm just debating whether to get a seal for the lever less or convert to a pingel. Besides the lever less not having res, what other issues are they known for?

Comment

They just plain suck. I like the vacuum petcocks on the other years but the 1980 ones are no good at all. Go with the Pingle if they have one that fits.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I've got some rubber gasket sheets that I can make a gasket out of for now, gonna go with a pingel if the valve and tank adaptor doesn't make it look too cobbled together.

Comment

Working...
              X