Oil Cooler Line Near Header

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Cooler Line Near Header

I have an oil cooler and am replacing the lines. They are rubber transmission/oil cooler lines tolerant of about 300 degrees F. I found some generic instructions on the internet that say keep them 6" from headers which I think is really conservative. The ones I took off were maybe 2 or 3 inches clear of the headers. Anyone have an idea of how close they can safely be?
    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
    1983 GS 1100 G
    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

I dont really know, but fyi, i was shooting my pipes with an infared thermometer while troubleshooting a carb issue, and the (3 good) pipes were around the 430º range after idling for a minute or so.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Thanks for that info. The connections on the cooler are about 5" from the headers and the hoses extend downward so I'll just do the best I can.
      1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

I used a flexible heat shield that wraps around the lines and uses velcro to attach to itself on mine, they ride VERY close to the headers, been that way for quite some time no problems yet, oil temps are fine and they don't look like they are getting damaged.
        (I refuse to tell you how close to the header they are for fear of being chastised, but way closer than 3"…LOL)
        I do keep my finger crossed and check them a lot!

Comment

Thanks Joe. Can you steer me to the type of heat shield you use?
          1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

EDIT: This is the stuff. It is like a rubber impregnated fiberglass wrap. If it gets grease on it you simply wipe it down with some solvent or what ever. I fully wrapped all of the cloth covered rubber cooler hose with it. Since it is rubbery it pulls over and has a snug fit without any zip ties or anything else required.

I forgot now where I got it from do you will need to look if interested. It is a heavy silverfish tinned cover you cut to length and slip over the hoses. Tough stuff but no real idea how well it really works but I does it avoids direct exposure of the bare lines.

I think I got the stuff from here. You would need to call and ask. I think I got the last bit from them but that was 5 years ago. A silver bumpy covering.

Attached Files
            Last edited by posplayr; 07-02-2015, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe H View Post
              (I refuse to tell you how close to the header they are for fear of being chastised, but way closer than 3"�LOL)
              Same here. I don't see how it would be possible to keep the lines 6" from the exhaust.

Here's an upside down pic of my lines:

Attached Files
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Thanks for the help
                1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Got this. Thanks.
                  1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post

For reference I took a closeup of the stuff I mentioned and posted it in the post above.

Comment

Working...
                    X