Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for suggestions on converting a bike to straight pipe, and pod air filters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for suggestions on converting a bike to straight pipe, and pod air filters.

I have a 1982 gs850gl, that was in a little wreck last year that crumpled half of the exhaust. Rather then pay an arm and a leg for a new custom system, or buy a replacement from a bike that's being parted out, I'm planning on making it a straight pipe. Along with that, I'm planning on turning the while thing into a custom job, including pod air filters. unfortunately, my knowledge with tuning carbs to accomidate for both of these ends at at the fact that it needs done. Any help and advice you could give in regard to tuning, and re jetting would be much appreciated.

additional info: I did rebuild the carbs last year, so I do have a decent amount of knowledge in relation to how they work, and where everything is.

dynojet stage 3 kit and follow the instructions for pods and pipe. cv carbs can be a little finicky without the airbox but you can make them work.

Dynojet Jet Kits Whether you run a standard motorcycle, or a tuned sportbike, Dynojet Carburetor Jet Kits can provide you with a simple and affordable solution to all your carburetion problems. Dynojet Jet Kits increase power and smoothness throughout the entire rev range, while maintaining optimum fuel economy. Each Dynojet Jet Kit includes comprehensive instructions which show step-by-step installation and testing procedures to ensure a perfect setup every time. This is backed by free telephone and Internet support to Dynojet customers. Kit installation and Dynamometer services are available in many parts of the world. Please see the Dynamometer Center Search Page to locate your nearest dyno shop. Read Full Description Jet Kit Types Needle & Needle Jet Caps Many newer bikes have very flat power and fuel delivery curves when used with the stock exhaust and air-box. When aftermarket pipes are used, the power curve is usually not flat. You find the need to lean out for low speed and richen up for top end; or leaner on the top end and richer at the low speed. In order to achieve full function and driveability, Dynojet develops shrouds or cap style nozzles for adjusting the upper or lower top end. They also have an effect similar to fuel injection by breaking up the fuel as it enters the air stream. Fuel Needle The design of the needle is where Dynojet spends most of its R&D time. The needle is designed to give the correct amount of fuel throughout the mid-range and is also designed to allow adjustment from groove 1 to groove 6 with little or no effect below 3000 R.P.M.; then with the correct end dimensions, the needle will have little effect on the main jet regardless of needle position. This isolates all circuits from each other and ensures easy set-up of the midrange and driveability. Main Air Jet This jet allows air into the emulsion tube to mix with fuel being drawn up from the float bowl. It controls the amount of fuel which can be pulled from the float bowl into the venturi. The larger the size of the main air jet, the more air you get and less fuel. The smaller the main air jet, the more fuel you get and less air. Dynojet alters this only to achieve the flattest possible fuel delivery curve. Pilot Circuit This controls 100% of the engine idle and 25% of the transition onto the needle. Dynojet has found that the engine will idle with the standard pilot jet, with or without the air-box and with the slides and needles removed from the carburetors; therefore we never change the pilot jet. Doing so is proof that you are not using the other circuits correctly. Idle and off idle is controlled by the mixture screws and the float level which have the most positive effect below 4000 R.P.M. On some models the pilot air jet is changed to provide optimum fuel economy. Correct balancing of the carburetors also ensures a smooth idle. Main Jet We develop our main jets to correctly serve two functions; static load and dynamic load. The static load is the fuel received through the main jet in the upper gears, where the tachometer is moving very slow. The dynamic fueling portion of the main jet is the amount of fuel received from the jet in the mid-range potion of the power. For example, you have a GSXR1100 G,H with #130 main jets. You then install #125 mains. After running the bike you notice the top end has improved but the mid-range doesn't pull as well. You then install #135 mains and you notice the mid-range is great but the top end is slower. This is a common compromise when using stock main jets and needles. If you install Dy 93 Dealers Orders Dealer Orders "Dealer Orders Dynojet Research Inc. dealers much call in to place an order. Please call us at: 1-800-992-4993 (Toll Free)/Suzuki/GS850/1983
    Last edited by Guest; 07-05-2015, 04:27 PM.

Comment

You can usually get a replacement muffler pretty cheap,maybe free, at a Harley dealer. You shouldn't run straight pipes on the street.

Comment

I'm not some kind of never-stray-from-stock busybody, but neither of these modifications sound like a good idea.

Negative on the straight pipes. You're going to deafen both the innocent on the road in and your neighborhood as well as the guilty (yourself). Not to mention bringing shame and disgrace to the rest of us who run great-sounding stock and aftermarket exhausts which adhere to moderate decibel levels. You sound like a reasonable person. Do the right thing. Get an aftermarket 4-into-1, or even just some stock headers and cheap stock Harley take-off exhausts. There are people here on the forum doing just that and are happy with the result. If you're not great with the bending of the tubes and likewise fabrication, hook up with a local exhaust shop. You will be glad you did.

As for pods, again, not recommended. Tuning the bike for pods is almost more art than science and there have been plenty on this forum who've gone this route and eventually went back to the stock airbox just to get the bike to run right again. It's not that it can't be done, it's that it takes a lot of time to do right. Doubly or triply so for the inexperienced. But if you're going to do it anyway, start with a Dynojet 3 and find a shop in your area that does dyno tuning.
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I am also doing pods, and maybe slash cut exhaust somehow. Not trying to make anyone deaf or myself just maybe 4 in 2 exhaust with slash cut instead of the megaphone.

Comment

"Straight pipes"?

That will keep a LOT of us from offering any help, other than "good luck".

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That's a real shame. I hope you are wrong, because what that says to me is if someone wants to do something to their bike that you don't agree with they are **** out of luck as far as you are concerned?

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              "Straight pipes"?

That will keep a LOT of us from offering any help, other than "good luck".

Comment

Weapon, a lot of people here would rather respect others than thinking only of their own selfish desires. You can still find good sounding pipes that don't have to be obnoxious if you look carefully
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

that doesn't really address my post. what i'm talking about is the overbearing "your doing something I don't like so I wont help you" post.
                  If a person doesn't like it and doesn't want to help then why post at all? Other than to be all overbearing and judgy?
                  I don't agree with obnoxious loud pipes either, but if the guy cant afford pipes right away and needs to get his bike running, why be like that?
                  He didn't say he wanted to be obnoxious and irritate people with his pipe did he?

Comment

It's not just "because I don't like it". It's because it hurts the overall image of motorcyclists in general, possibly endangering our freedom to participate in our chosen sport.

And, ... it's nothing NEW. Over 35 years ago, I lived in a private community that changed its bylaws to prohibit motorcycles. The four of us that already had motorcycles were grandfathered in, and were allowed to keep them. The problem there was that one was a Goldwing, one was a bone-stock Honda CB400-4 Supersport, my KZ1300 (only a Goldwing was quieter) and a non-running Norton Commando, so there wasn't even any history of loud bikes in the park, they just wanted to keep them out. If we had any visitors that rode a motorcycle, they had to park at the Community Center building near the entrance and walk all the way back to our place. We told them to shove it.

Today, there are community parks in many cities that don't allow motorcycles, mainly because of the noise. That means that I, on my Goldwing, am not allowed to visit the park. That hurts. It's a public park, I am on a completely legal vehicle, ridden in a completely legal manner, but am not allowed to visit the park.

I really don't care how high your ape hangers are.
                    I don't care how far forward your forward controls are.
                    I don't care what color you paint your bike.
                    I don't care if you choose to bob it, cafe it or even 'rat' it out.

Those are all personal choices that really only affect YOU. However, when you start making so much noise that it can be heard several blocks away, it affects ME, too, and that is where I refuse to offer any help on how to keep the bike running in that condition. I will not go so far as to offer incorrect advice, thereby sabotaging your bike, I will simply not offer ANY advice.
                    Like it or not, that is where I stand.

Last edited by Steve; 07-10-2015, 12:41 PM.
                    sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Like it or not, that is where I stand.

What he said.
                      "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Allie, thanks a LOT for dragging out that old picture of me.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

I really appreciate all the feedback, but i really didn't mean to start an argument on pipes with my post. I have absolutely no intention of leaving the bike straight piped. but, the current state of the exhaust is causing too much backflow to run properly. i started the bike for the first time since October last week, and one of the exhaust outtakes was turning red hot. i only plan on having straight pipes until i can get it running properly, and replace the valve cover gasket. then ill be looking for some muffles to fit onto the old pipes, that fit the almost cafe look that i want. i'm also beginning to rethink my pod filter idea, the more i look, the more i don't think its something that i want to do. at least not while i'm still trying to get her to run better.

Comment

Check your valve clearances if you're rockin' a cherry red header. That's totally not groovy. You'd have to tune the bike to get it to run right with straight pipes, then when you put mufflers back on you'd have to re-tune again so it doesn't sound very productive. The tuning on these things is delicately balanced, it's not like your folks' LTD wagon that you can flip the air cleaner lid over and hear the four barrel whooping up all that air. Small changes to the intake and exhaust equation can really complicate matters.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Steve may be a muffin deprived hornswoggling bushwacking no-account but he's an awfully nice guy so we'll keep him.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Working...
                              X