No announcement yet.

RS34 jetting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignore the Dynojet stuff, absolutely irrelevant to RS carbs. I had some of those RS34 years ago, try 122.5 mains and see what you get to start off with. As far as the pilot screws, they should be 1/4 to 1/2 turn out, NOT 3 turns. Again, NOT the same as a CV carb.

Important, if you only have a single-cable throttle, get a push-pull throttle for it. The RS slides get a strong vacuum signal and can sometimes hang open, which means you let off the throttle on the handlebar but the engine doesn't slow down.

Comment

That sounds better. These came off of a GS1000 and the mains are 110's. I thought it was weird that Mikuni's RS tuning guide gave the entire range from GS1000-GS1150 and recommended 130 for all of them.

Comment

I love the sound at idle -- clickety clack..

from the MIKUNI PAPER it shows the pilot mixture screw range of operation is 1/4=0.25 turn (lean) out to 3-1/2=3.5 turns (rich) from gently seated closed. - more than 3 turns get a bigger pilot jet - less than a quarter turn get a smaller pilot jet. I prefer to be close to 1 turn - and balance it with the needle setting - that allows you to control the fuel better (overall) and at a later date if the weather changes you can have a more effective adjustment with only the mixture screws - (nevermind the advanced tuning)

the 17.5 pilots may be too rich for your engine - you will have to experiment using a lean idle drop procedure-- not every mixture screw has to be exactly equal (example 1.5 across the board) - you have to find the best mixture setting for each individual cylinder - if you almost have to seat the mixture screw closed -- or cannot get a distinct idle drop - get some 15 pilot jets.
        - just get it to idle within the mixture screw range first -

needle height adjustment and re- sync go hand in hand - if you change the needle you have to re-sync every time- that is true on ALL mechanical slide carbs. -- #3 is the base you dial the others to. getting good with the ramped adjuster mechanism takes practice.

float height works best at 17mm -- not 19 like the picture shows - there may have been some changes to the newer model body castings or it is a typo because the book that came with my set shows 17 and it works on all the sets I have - 34/36/38/40 - yes I have too many carbs. no I'm not selling.

110 may be great for your engine on the street. you are going to have to test and re-tune.

spark plugs are cheap and all carb parts are easy to get. ever have trouble contact me.
        SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Thanks for this. So even though these came off of a GS1000 I should start with the 110's on it? I haven't looked at the pilots yet, so I assume if they work for a gs1000 they probably wont be too rich for me?
          Last edited by Guest; 07-22-2015, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Can anybody point me to a synchronization guide for these carbs?

Comment

Working...
            X